Swiss Issue Smallest Ever Commemorative Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by calcol, Apr 13, 2021.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Yup, just recognized by Guinness World Records. It’s gold with a face value of ¼ franc. Diameter is about 0.1 inch (3 mm) and weight about 0.002 ounce (0.063 g). Should wear a mask if you handle it so you don’t inhale it. :) See pic.

Cal
    BB1fBvG5.img.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I looked at this Einstein coin when it was released. The premium was absolutely insane.

GH#75 likes this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

About $3.50 melt value. I guess that’s alright

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I own a 1/20th of an ounce and thought it was a waste of gold. I have some ancients about 5 mm and those are really tiny.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  7. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Swiss are FOS... the 1/10th fanam holds that title at .04g (a full fanam should weight .4g but lots of "foil" copies made for jewelry/clothing use which is what i think you have Jay... here is a full and a 1/10th with a dime for size comparison.. 20201028_003629.jpg 20201028_004522.jpg

furryfrog02 and scottishmoney like this.
  8. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

But this Nepalese coin is not associated with the Indian Fanam, but totally different denomination known as 1/128 of a Mohur, and 1 Mohur is 5.6 grams. They have also issued gold coins weighing the same 0.04g, being sold on Ma-shops.
    https://www.ma-shops.com/shops/maCategory.php?catid=17769
    Here are the numista entries. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces77559.html

mrweaseluv and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

cool beans :D I wonder how many of those "foil" fanams i passed up might be otherwise Hmmm, gonna have to recheck a shop or 2.. the markup alone might be worth it lol

JayAg47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted