Swiss and French coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bugo, Feb 4, 2015.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not at all. :) And thanks for the images! Just wondering - what do you plan to do with so many demonetized coins? I have those too, but just one or maybe two of each type ...

Christian

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Eventually I'll resell them for profits but for a while I'll be keeping them. I did make good deals on a lot of my foreign coins. It may be years though before cashing out.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

I see. :) And yes, those bimetallic 10 fr coins I like!

Christian

5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I like the bimetallic too, but since they are bimetallic doesn't that kind of hurt the bullion potential? I'm hoarding the pure nickel coins but I wouldn't hoard the bimetallic ones, frankly.

6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

France.
    2 francs 1944. It were the days of struggle against fascism...

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      107.2 KB
      Views:
    • 46.jpg
      46.jpg
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
    Dave M and chrisild like this.
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Maybe so, but severely damaged coins can still be (professionally) recycled. The primary reason for having bimetallic coins was not the intrinsic value but to make counterfeiting more difficult, and to allow for additional sizes ...

@Siberian Man - Right, those coins were minted in Philadelphia. Produced in 1945, I think, and the design is not terribly elaborate ;) but it got the job done. Mostly in Southern France and Algeria from what I have read.

Christian

8. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Even though the bi-metal ones don't have a good bullion value, they do hold decent prices in bulk lots on ebay. And they complete the collection by getting all denominations. ;)

And for the prices I got the coins they were worth it.

9. joecoincollect

Here's some of my nickel coins
    image.jpg

10. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

Those 2 guldens look like they are from the Netherlands.... me likey.

11. joecoincollect

Yeah it's fun hoarding all these. I got a handful of Syrian nickel coins the other week. It also makes me want to get nice uncs because the nickel metal and designs look marvelous unc and au.

12. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I completley agree. These are beautiful coins that have a lucid but tranquil effect when handling them. I just got some GEM BU in and I love looking at them. I will try to post soon. They do remind me of our own Walking Liberty coins and I hope I can get some more. They are simply beautiful. Great post.

bugo likes this.
  13. joecoincollect

Yeah, I don't know how US only collectors can bypass world coins, especially beauts like this. After all, doesn't our classic coinage borrow a lot from some European coinage? I don't know the details but I've heard from time to time that some French designs were borrowed by US designers, etc.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Inspiration, as opposed to plagiarism, is fine - a good design that was inspired by another good design is certainly much better than a bad design, inspired or not. ;) It is pretty obvious, for example, that Roty's Sower (semeuse) inspired Weinman's Walking Liberty. Does not mean that US collectors should now start collecting non-US coins, but knowing about such influences cannot hurt either ...

Christian

15. merrill01

merrill01 Member

I agree, they are both very beautiful coins, and worthy or any collection. The fact that they can be had for only a portion of the American counterparts makes them all the more attractive. The Swiss and French gold coins are also nice and reasonable if your budget can afford it.

bugo likes this.
  16. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I searched for "silver" under World Coins and Paper Money on ebay and most of the results were for Swiss coins. They are a tremendous value. The coins from the 1/2 franc to the 2 franc have basically the same design and have used this design since the 19th Century. Since they're not immediately noticeable, I wonder if you can still find silver in Swiss pocket change (or did they go Euro?)

17. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

rooman9 likes this.
  18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Switzerland went from silver to Cu-Ni for circulation coins in 1968. In October 1971 the silver coins ceased to be legal tender, but most of them can still be redeemed. And no, Switzerland is not a European Union member state, nor does it have a monetary agreement with the EU. These days, none of the Swiss collector coins (10 fr bimetallic, 20 fr silver, 50 fr gold) can be had at face.

Christian

19. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Love this conversation. All of the designers and sculptors in the late 19th and early 20th centuries understood the iconographic meaning and symbolism developed by the Greeks and Romans. They executed some beautiful coin designs and I agree with previous posts that Swiss and French francs are a bargain compared to their U.S. counterparts.

bugo likes this.
  20. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Sapulpa native here.

Draft saved Draft deleted