Sweet Toned Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Blueindian65, Apr 13, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

How many MPC notes in tough grades encapsulated by TPGs do you have with stains or hand writing on them? Do you feel the same way when it comes to your notes collection?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It's a neat looking coin, but the fingerprints amaze me on an NGC * coin. :eek:

4. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

I think its got great eye appeal.The prints dont look to be "damaging" and for the year the color it has deserves a star.Not my cup o tea tho.but looks nice

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Because Star Designations require unanimous consent, in order for a toned coin to receive a Star Designation it must first be considered attractively toned by all graders who inspect it. As with untoned coins, it must have full luster that is unimpeded by the toning. It must also be free of any obvious planchet irregularities and any distracting spots or blemishes. The toning color can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown approaching black.

Wow, I wasn't aware of the last clause. To be honest, I've seen a few NGC * coins with areas of dark toning on them and this phrase surprises me to read.

Thoughts?

6. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

Never seen that before,apparently I wasnt paying attention.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I knew about it and I have also seen examples where the coin has gotten a star with very dark areas of toning on the coin, however small the area might be. For example, the crescent at the bottom of this Franklin Half Dollar is approaching black IMO. However, the overall eye appeal of the coin is off the charts. It would seem unfair to penalize the entire coin for that one area. It appears NGC agreed and made an exception to the rule.

[​IMG]

It is my guess that most coins that barely miss the star designation do so for the distracting spots or blemishes like the current example. To be honest, they could have used either reason for the Franklin above, but they made the right decision.

8. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

Krispy: Ahhh I see said the blind man. :)

Well... Its 4 o clock in the morning, and I have to be at a marina that is 3hrs away by 9 to continue counting a parts room...I know have a new respect for my mechanic. I could not do this for a living. Even if it only happens once a year.

Leigh: You said you think its worth 250, and will go for 450+ do you think the 200 dollar spread is because of the star, or do you think it is getting a lot of press? A little more detail on that would be awsome.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

What a rip! I thought it looked alright too until I put on my glasses! :D My thoughts on the toning is that it sat on foam, like in a plastic jewelry case. Any other thoughts on why it toned like it did?

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

He thinks it will to higher as 2 people will spend more then he values it at. As it will fit in their collection better and they will just pay more for it then him.
    We all value things differently.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree 100%.

I was aware of it and completely agree with the clause. And like you, I have seen a few that I sure didn't think were worthy of the star either.

12. Lehigh96

Doug,

While I agree that I have seen coins that I thought didn't deserve the star, it is a very rare occurence IMO. I think NGC has done a fantastic job in preserving the integrity of the designation. I have seen a few coins like this one that appear not to deserve the star, but I have seen hundreds that I thought should have a star and don't. BTW, we are seeing a photo of this coin. If we saw it in hand, the combination of luster and color as well as viewing angle might very well make the impact of the fingerprint inconsequential.

Paul

13. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

Well,let me ask,how many of those earlier nickels,have you guys seen with that type of toning? I believe that would be why it got a star.just food for thought.

14. GDJMSP

Not unless I was in a dark room and had both eyes covered.

As I said not to long ago Paul, I think NGC does an excellent job with the star designation. But there are a few I would never agree with. This is one of them.

15. GDJMSP

Over the years I've seen quite a few. I've seen plenty more with color just as good or better IMO that did not get the star.

They just screwed up on this one IMO.

16. Lehigh96

Uh.....Have you seen my collection?:rolling:

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I believe the coin in the o.p. has 'unusual' toning, but it's really not to my taste. I'm sure it will find a home somewhere, though..

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I don't think he was questioning your experience level (or at least I didn't read it that way), but he was rather commenting on the relative % of nickels that come wildly toned (perhaps before realizing that it was a silver nickel).

19. Lehigh96

I didn't take it that way at all. But anyone who has seen my collection of Jefferson Nickels would soon learn that rainbow toned nickels are not nearly as rare as they think. The alternative is they would think I own them all.:D

Draft saved Draft deleted