Sweet Toned Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Blueindian65, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Personally, I find it butt ugly with those fingerprints on the reverse. Not sure how they can call it problem free with those prints present.

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I agree with Krispy; the toning has some great colors, but I find the fingerprints too distracting.

5. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

hmmmm you may be right.... I some how overlooked that. (guess its what I get for not soming in

6. krispy

krispy krispy

I'm sure Mikey... I mean, Lehigh, will like it! :whistle: ...just kidding!

7. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

I think though that regardless of the messed up top it def passes the psychedelic coin test. Maybe not a 12x bid coin, but its not horrible or anything. People would like to look at it while enjoying a rock concert :)

8. krispy

krispy krispy

So you are saying this is a coin of substance?... LOL!

9. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

no im saying it would be a fun coin to look at while on drugs... is it "the best coin ever" no, is it psychedelic yes.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Very pretty colors. The fingerprint is a bit distracting to my eye. Would be a nice coin to look at and study as the fingerprint suggests this is NT.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

by 'substance' I meant the same thing you said, drugs.:)

12. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

That coin shouldn't even have a star IMO!! I would pass!!

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

These are my comments that I posted on the NGC forum about the coin. The question asked was "does the coin deserve a star"

Based on the guidelines set forth by NGC for the star designation I would say no the coin should not have the star.

I will assume since the coin has a star that the luster is better than the photo indicates. However, you can't tell me that a huge obvious fingerprint which interrupts the toning pattern is not a distracting blemish. If rainbow toned war nickels were rare, you could make a case for the star. However, they are not rare, and this coin was fortunate to recieve the designation.

Without zooming in on the Heritage slab photo, I could see the mark on Jefferson's collar. The surface quality of the reverse in combination with the toning account for the assigned grade, but given the marks on the obverse, the strike, and the fingerprint, it certainly is low end for an MS67. My guess is that this coin has outstanding luster which is not evident in the photos. The luster in combination with the reverse color is most likely the reason that the graders were able to look past the fingerprint. Personally, I do not find this coin appealing and will not be bidding on the coin. There is a Jefferson in the same auction that is a much better quality coin that already has my bid.

Having said that, the auction is over 2 weeks away, the coin has over 100 views, 3 bidders, and 10 people watching. In addition, this is the second forum that has featured a thread about this specific coin. It ain't gonna go cheap. My guess is that the coin sells for between $400-$500. If you are looking for an exact guess, mark me down for $488.

PS. I value the coin at about $250 but I am almost certain there will be two bidders who like the coin a whole lot more than I do.

14. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

All good points LeHigh.
    I like the coin with the fingerprints but agree it's * should be lost because of it.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I do not like this coin really much at all - especially not at 67*. No coin with a huge fingerprint should ever grade above 65 in my opinion, no matter how nice the toning. The marks on both the obverse and reverse, and the weak strike, further put the coin at a 65 in my opinion. As Paul and others have said, I'm guessing this coin has great luster - but basically, you are looking at a very overgraded coin. Further, the spots and fingerprint should automatically preclude the *. I do not like this coin.

However, I think the coin will break $400.

And the fingerprint had to have been there long before the coin was slabbed - you don't get toning like that, around a fingerprint like that unless A.) a long time elapsed or B.) some kinda funky chemicals had a field day.

16. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Yeah, I like a nice toned coin as much as the next guy... but the fingerprints are a huge turn off for me.

17. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

The toning is nice, but some of these pieces are just going for outrageous prices.

18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sorry this coin would never get a * OMG finger prints no steps.....Me thinks this coin is bogus! or the grading is for sure. IMO Paddy

19. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

Great thread. It is not a fingerprint, though -- that coin shows multiple fingerprints and they dominate nearly half of the reverse!
    It does make me wonder if NGC (and/or PCGS) simply ignores fingerprints and do not factor them into the grade. If so, to me this is nuts.:confused::confused:

20. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Why dump on the coin? The colors are amazing!! Ok it has fingerprints
    But if he can get it at a good price, Alls good :)

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

What do you consider a good price? I personally stated that I would bid $250 which is 4X Wholesale.

Draft saved Draft deleted