"SWAN" counterstrike on British 1739 1/2 Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GeorgeM, Jun 2, 2015.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm struggling to see the actual coin because the photo is from so far away. Can you try taking closer photos and forget the World Catalog? It will help everyone see the counterstamp.

4. GeorgeM

If you click on the image, it will zoom in. The image was taken with a 5MP camera, and the coin is practically full screen when zoomed in.

I used the high contrast of the Krause page to try and get better focus, as the coin's surfaces are quite dark and low contrast.

ss

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I don't see this particular stamp listed in the references I have, George, but it looks very much like an English cutler's mark. It could be a silversmith stamp also. I did a quick check in the 1797 Sheffield directory of merchants, but didn't find anything close to this.
    As for value, I'm not sure. It would make a big difference if it could be attributed.

Bruce

GeorgeM likes this.
  6. BRandM

If you're interested in selling your Swan counterstamp, George, send me a p/m. I'll make a decent offer for it.

Bruce

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

To be honest, there are two things here I really don't like.

1. That the counterstamp details are very sharp even though the coin is heavily worn.

2. The significant green patina being present within only the area of the counterstamp. This is commonly seen on fakes, including modern stamps on old coins, which are then artificially aged in a kiln.

This is a sign of freshly exposed metal that has been "speed aged". The rest of the coin, protected by the heavy patina, is not affected.

8. Numismat

... Duplicate post

9. BRandM

You bring up some interesting points, Numismat. My feeling in regard to the wear patterns are that the stamp, in my estimation, likely dates to the late 18th century or early 19th. If this is the case, then the sharpness exhibited by the stamp would be acceptable on a circulating coin from 1739.

As far as the verdigris or staining goes, there does appear to be some in areas around the portrait as well. In my experience, counterstamps seem to attract this type of environmental damage. I'm not sure why, but I've seen it quite often, particularly on older issues.

Your points are well taken though. I would love to see a better picture or ideally to be able to examine the coin in-hand to be able to evaluate it more accurately. My got feeling though is that it's genuine.

Bruce

Numismat likes this.
  10. Numismat

This is definitely an interesting piece. Perhaps @GeorgeM would not mind sending it to you for a proper examination.

11. GeorgeM

The verdigris on the counterstamp isn't particularly noticeable in hand - I think it may simply be an artifact of how the struck surface reflects the flash.

<Numismat>
    "This is commonly seen on fakes, including modern stamps on old coins, which are then artificially aged in a kiln."

Is there a significant market for counterstamped coins like this (enough for faking to be a thing)? My understanding was that only a small subset of collectors are interested in this field, and that PMD like this would significantly reduce the coin's value for most other collectors.

Here are a few better pictures:

Attached Files:

12. Numismat

It's a pretty big sub-section of counterfeiting... faking counterstamps and creating non-existing stamps and making them look old. The 1950's-60's fantasy stamps on Maria Theresia thaler restrikes are probably the most well know examples.
    There would definitely be demand for a nice c/s like this even if not attributed.

13. Numismat

Duplicate post.

Draft saved Draft deleted