Suspicious looking CC morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldrealmoney79, Nov 8, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Definitely a fake!

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The mint mark looks wrong

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

What are the tells when all you have are photos taken from space?

6. fretboard

The shape of her face is completely wrong. The jaw of Liberty on a regular Morgan is not as "J" shaped as the fake. :D The faulty shaped face makes all her features look terrible. Pics are not the best to call a fake on, but the question was asked! ;)just my 2 cents! :shifty:

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

A picture taken from three feet away. Pass!

8. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Thanks for the answer. The question was asked because your statement "definitely a fake" was made without explanation. To be honest, toggling back and forth between the item in question and Morgans in Photograde, the differences you cite seem pretty subtle to me. But, I don't collect Morgans and haven't studied them closely.

9. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I don't have enough experience to tell if this is a fake but I'd like to share a comment. This reminded me of something I read in The Numismatist magazine. They always have a monthly section on Counterfeit Detection, and for that month, they focused on Morgans. For some reason, I remember they pointed out that, in many counterfeits, the serifs and lettering (E. PLURIBUS UNUM) are "pillowy" and not flat as they should be, even on a worn coin. They provided examples. I then took out a well-worn 1890 Morgan that I have and - sure enough - the serifs and letters were still flat, not pillowy. The letters of the motto in the eBay listing you showed seem "pillowy" / balloonish.

EDIT:
    Compare the seris in your link to this one from a reputable eBay seller:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1882-CC-Ca...446182?hash=item366e0af666:g:PLQAAOSwYvNfqKcD

DEA likes this.
  10. fretboard

Yes, I don't collect Morgans either but there's too many things wrong with the ad and the pics. The seller only has 9 completed sales and on his other listed items for sale, most of his pics are close ups. Why not a close up on the Morgan, one has to wonder??! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted