susanlynn9's ancient coin experiment

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by neuron, Sep 30, 2004.

1. neuron

neuron New Member

Hey Susanlynn9,
    Whatever happened to that batch of ancient coins you were soaking in olive oil? Did any turn out okay?

I posted a message instead of sending a PM since I thought others might be interested. If you didn't read the previous story, the gist is that Susanlynn9 purchased a batch of "uncleaned and unsearched" ancient coins on Ebay, just to see what happens. Since these are horrendously dirty and corroded (from what I understand), cleaning is necessary just to see what you have acquired.

I was just curious about how it is going, since it might be a fun thing to try with my niece and nephew.

Thanks!
    ~neuron

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I've been swamped with work since yesterday. I got the coins - some look like they might really be interesting (from what I could see through the grime). I'm looking at them now still sitting in their olive oil. I will probably take a couple of them and try a faster cleaning method to see how they turn out (I'll try it with the smaller ones.) At the rate they're going, I'll probably be able to start identifying them sometime around June 2005 :D

As you can tell, patience is not my forte. Instant gratification is not fast enough :D

Draft saved Draft deleted