Susan B. Anthony Dollars Below Mint State

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by oldsk00l90, Nov 12, 2013.

1. oldsk00l90

oldsk00l90 New Member

Is it true that Susan B. Anthony dollars are rarely collected below MS? Is AU-50 an acceptable collecting grade or are still only worth face value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

They are collectible in any state as long as you enjoy it.

bugo, green18 and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

i would say if it is a slabbed AU-50 mabye it would be worth like 3 dollars to somebody !!

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Do you have access to any census and pricing information? The two gorillas in the grading world (NGC and PCGS) both have this type of information. It's free to join the sites. By having access to this information, you can see when a coin might be worth getting graded. Figure about $20-$30 to get a coin graded (shipping, grading fees, handling and return shipping) when you're doing your calculations.

6. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

If you send in 10 at a dime you can get them done in the 14 dollar range and sometimes they have sales or promo deals were you can get it cheap but you gotta keep your eyes open !!

7. oldsk00l90

oldsk00l90 New Member

I just found the answer to my question. A coin like the one I own (1979-P) is only worth face value at that grade.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

There is nothing wrong with collecting something you like. They won't have much more value than face but if you are enjoying it then go for it. That's how a lot of my collection is.

9. If you are collecting to hopefully get some price appreciation some day, then you probably do not want to consider anything below the mid or higher grade ms grades.

Susan B Anthony's do not have a very large collector base, so the demand is very limited. That, coupled with a huge supply of lower grade ms coins out there, it is hard to see collectors buying anything that is not upper ms. As with most small dollars, the SBA's did not circulate well, good quality MS coins are readily available for reasonable prices. An AU SBA is worth a dollar, and will remaim so for a very long time.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Or look to see if it's a Wide Rim variety. Those are worth more.

11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

+1

12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I collect SBDs (Susan B Dollars, not Silent But Deadly) when I find them. I have a bunch of 1979s and one 1980 that I found in circulation. Yesterday I bought a 1981 proof so now all I have to find to complete my collection is a 1999 (I don't really collect by mintmark).

13. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I've paid a $1.25 for SBA from 1980 and $2.00 from 1981. I would guess that they graded about AU50.

14. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

It's all about personal taste.

It also depends on whether you have the wide rim variety of 79. Numismedia.com lists the AU50 of the 79 wide rim at $6.90 and AU58 at $9.20.

Draft saved Draft deleted