Surprise Augustus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, Sep 30, 2020.

1. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

...Saint Gaudens, that is.

I took my older daughter for lunch and to practice some photography downtown (Chicago) after the SAT the other day. We ate ramen at a Japanese place that she loves across from Grant Park. We climbed to the top of a monument only to find a surprise.

D7D3AE48-C576-4F7A-A825-C6D3DD7D4753.jpeg

28859560-E498-47DA-B6CD-D646C76CE9A5.jpeg 2920DE18-A701-4C32-8352-9346D60EF004.jpeg 5AC4401B-729B-4873-BF0F-B1E6206FF95B.jpeg

I have to say I never knew that this statue was my Saint-Gaudens. But I was thrilled to find out that it is. Logan was a man who changed over time. https://www.chicagogallerynews.com/news/2017/4/public-art-and-the-masses-examining-sculpture-in-grant-park

I
    know Saint-Gaudens is remembered for his American coinage redesign at the behest of Teddy Roosevelt but he was very much a classicist. His time in Paris is described in an excellent book by David McCullough, “The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris.” Same David McCullough as “John Adams” and “The Path Between the Seas.” If you haven’t read it, you should. I posted this here because all of the folks I know on here have curious minds and appreciate not only items from the classical eras but how those ideas were revived and given new life both in Europe and here.

Nick

Limes, TIF, Theodosius and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's cool, Nick.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, definitely cool.

5. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. It’s easy to forget that Saint-Gaudens was a prolific sculptor and has several in Chicago and New York.

Roman Collector and Theodosius like this.
  6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I sold most of my American coins but was unable to let this St. Gaudens $20 go :D.

St. Gaudens $20, 1928.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted