Surprise Alexander Severus denarius!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I received an email about 5 hours ago congratulating me for winning a Holding History Auction lot sponsored by Agora Auctions. At first I thought it might be spam/scam, and was tempted to delete it, but after checking with Agora online this appears to be quite genuine. I've paid it off, and thankfully it went for opening bid, which was quite cheap, but no matter how much I try to remember, I honestly do not recollect bidding on it.

To be fair, I did check out the auction about 2 weeks ago when it went up, so I must have bid on it then, but it probably just slipped my mind and I totally forgot about it. That's what I get for browsing online auctions at 2:00 AM instead of sleeping. Anyway, here is my surprise win of an Alexander Severus denarius.

PS: Have you ever bid on something and totally forgotten you had until you received a notification weeks later that you won?

Alexander Severus denarius.jpg

Lot 09-101. Severus Alexander. AD 222-235. AR Denarius
    Severus Alexander. AD 222-235. AR Denarius (20mm, 3.25g). Rome mint, AD 231. Laureate head right, with slight drapery / Virtus standing left, holding crowning Victory and round shield. RIC IV 220; RSC 579

Honestly, for a coin I don't even remember, I could have done a lot worse. The portrait is pleasing and it looks well centered, so I guess I should be pretty happy with it. Still, I should try not to browse online auctions at 2:00 AM anymore in a half asleep/half awake state. :dead:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Absolutely! Some time back I entered abut a hundred bids in a CNG auction the promptly forgot about it. I was outbid on all but two, and both those went at the opening (thus very cheaply). I didnt even remember the auction until they showed up in the mail! Sometimes it pays to just enter a bid, even if at the opening. But then sometimes we forgot auctions entirely!

Theodosius, Mikey Zee and Sallent like this.
  4. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

That's a sign that your buying too many coins. ;) Seriously though, it's a good looking coin.

Sallent likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

More times than I can count since I use a bidding service.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice, love the reverse details.

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander (222 - 235 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PM TR P XIIII COS III PP, Sol walking left holding whip and raising hand.
    Rome Mint, January–February/March, 235 A.D.
    2.8g
    19mm
    RIC125

Minted in the last few months of his reign!

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yep, I've done that, although it was during live online bidding during Roma's first e-sale.

I only vaguely recall the coin and certainly don't remember bidding. I do remember bidding on and winning a couple of others in the same auction. When the invoice arrived I was puzzled. I recall admiring the coin but have no recollection of bidding!

I paid for it, of course, and at first my enjoyment of it was a bit tainted because of the circumstances. Three years later, I have no regrets. It's a beautiful coin!

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic, Anonymous
    Rome, 115-114 BCE
    AR denarius, 20 mm, 3.91 g, 10 h
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right, X behind, ROMA below
    Rev: Roma, helmeted, seated on two shields, holding spear before her, she-wolf standing right at her feet, head turned back, sucking Romulus and Remus. In left and right fields, two birds flying towards her.
    Ref: Crawford 287/1

I'm celebrating tonight because my computer has been repaired, yay! What a harrowing week, without a personal computer :D

The circumstances of its injury were embarrassing. I was in bed browsing CoinTalk on my laptop, various heavy coin books beside me. Apparently I fell asleep with the laptop open. When I awoke, it was closed or nearly so. I opened it back up to see what I'd missed during my premature sleep, and the screen was all streaky-- apparently a small crack which wrecked the screen. Did I roll over and elbow it? Did I accidentally shove it into a coin book? Don't know. That was a very unwelcome and expensive repair.

8. Bing

Been there. Done that just recently. My wife says I missed my computer more than I miss her when I'm away. God, she has good intuition!

Pity anyone sleeping next to you. :angelic:

Jwt708, Alegandron, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  9. Bing

Severus Alexander 11.jpg
    SEVERUS ALEXANDER
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: P M TR P X COS III P P, Sol, radiate. standing left with raised hand and globe
    Struck at Rome, 231 AD
    3.4g, 20mm
    RIC 109

Severus Alexander 10.jpg
    SEVERUS ALEXANDER
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: SPES PVBLICA, Spes advancing left, flower in right, with left raising skirt
    Struck at Rome, 232 AD
    3.3g,19mm
    RIC IV 254, RSC III 543

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

VERY NICE for a forgotten bid @Sallent...

I've done that as well a few times over several months, but usually it ends up with just a e-mail stating I lost.

My most recent win with this ruler was a sestertius, courtesy of JA:
    Severus Alexander sestertius.JPG

11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Maybe you woke up and didn't realize it and noticed you got outbid on something. You were so mad, you slammed the laptop close cracking the screen ever so slightly. Was so mad you decided to go back to sleep and try to forget about it. Then woke up and actually did forget about it and noticed the crack...

Or maybe a book fell on top of it. :p:(

btw. Nice coin, I haven't seen any denarius with that many animals on it and no biga.

TIF likes this.
  12. Sallent

I've broken three laptops, a Samsung Note 4, and a Surface tablet that way over the years, not to mention counless TV remotes. I've woken up far too many times to a broken computer on the floor next to my bed that now I'm afraid to use my tablet or laptop while laying in bed. TV remotes are far cheaper to replace, so that doesn't bother me as much, but I'd sure hate to break another computer that way. I should mention I'm bad with laptops in general. I've never had one survive more than two years because I'm so clumsy I always manage to drop them to their deaths somehow.

Maybe it was a bad idea to put a tile floor in my house. I have a feeling carpeting would be far kinder to electronics in a fall.

Theodosius and TIF like this.
  13. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Sheeesh you guys and girls. Only time I wake up not remembering things is when I drink too much. Never found anything broken, I only find... oh wait can't say that here. :woot:

Pishpash likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i have a gaming desktop, a browsing the internet desktop, and an old laptop for backup!

i've bid and forgot until i until i saw the notification that've i'd won...been then remembered that i had put in a bit. i don't think i've ever bid on a coin and just had a complete memory wipe of the event.

unless i don't remember that i didn't remember, which is entirely possible.

anyway, what a pleasant surprise for youself!

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I did something like that recently, except I must have placed the bid only an hour or so before the auction. It's still a mystery to me because even as I recall taking a second look at the coin, I don't at all remember deciding to bid on it...

upload_2016-7-29_10-20-15.png

16. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Two Alexander Severus Denarii with an obverse die match. Struck circa 222 CE in Rome.
    Alexander Severus is one of my favourites, so I'm always on the look out for affordable coins of his.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a sweet coin, and likely a bargain to boot!

Sallent likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

TIF ... ummm hey, I'm no Doctor Ruth, but maybe that random fricken elbowing whatever is laying next to you in bed thingy is why you're not hooked-up at the moment?

black eye.jpg

... I'm just sayin'

;)

Bing, chrsmat71 and TIF like this.
  19. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander denarius

Obv:– IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, Laureate head right
    Rev:– VIRVS (sic) AVG, Virtus standing right, holding reversed spear and victory

This reverse type is unlisted from Antioch though a couple of examples are now known of the type. This one also has VIRVS in place of VIRTVS

[​IMG]

Johndakerftw, icerain, Bing and 6 others like this.
  20. Sallent

It was a bargain, at least compared to vcoins, where similar coins would go for $100+. I took a look at that last night.

With auction fees and shipping mine was only $52. Not bad for a coin I don't even remember bidding on. I needed an Alexander Severus, so I'm pretty glad I was able to add one with good detail and centering for just over $50.

Draft saved Draft deleted