Suriname Gulden

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by stepworksteve, Jan 14, 2010.

1. stepworksteve

stepworksteve Junior Member

Does anyone know the values of bank notes from Suriname? Where can I exchange them? Thanx

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

The current exchange rate is <38¢ US to the Suriname dollar.

If you have enough to make the exchange worthwhile try visiting the currency exchange booth at your nearest international airport - probably run by Thomas Cook, Inc.

Your own bank probably has a correspondent bank that handles currency exchanges, but most banks charge a service fee in addition to giving a lower exchange rate than the published one, which is generally applicable to large inter-bank transactions.

BTW you only need to post a question once.

4. hiho

hiho off to work we go

You may do better selling the Suriname notes on eBay (especially if they are in good condition and attractive) rather than converting them at a bank or currency exchange. I exchanged 1000 Dutch Euros a few years ago (when the dollar and euro were 1:1) and Chase Manhattan charged me an arm and a leg to convert them to dollars.

If I had merely held on to them I would have made $500. :hammer:

Even with eBay and PayPal fees you'll only have to pay an arm and you'll get to keep the leg. :D

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The American express office is another good place!!

6. WhereEaglesDare

WhereEaglesDare Junior Member

This is more true than you think, when I came back from Iraq I had about 300 USD with of Iraqi Dinar. I was going to hold on to it, but after a couple of years I got impatient and nobody wanted to exchange them (due to being unstable). So I posted the whole lot on eBay and sold the lot for 375 when they were only worth 300 and I couldnt exchange them. So, eBay is a VERY easy way to "exchange" your currency.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Especially because the initial poster asked about gulden, not dollars. The country used the Suriname Gulden/Guilder until the end of 2003; on 1-Jan-2004 they replaced it with the Suriname Dollar, at a rate of 1000 SRG = 1 SRD.

Christian

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

What country are those from??

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ummm, see the title of this very topic.

Christian

10. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Suriname, the only country in in the Western Hemisphere that speaks Dutch that isn't still held by the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Currently 1 Suriname Dollar is worth about US $0.37... and 1 Suriname Guilder is worth 1/1000 of that... so basically unless you have a ton of them Suriname Gulden banknotes are nominally next to worthless. You'd get a lot more selling them to collectors than converting them.

Suriname does produce nice banknotes:

2 1/2 gulden, 1985
    10 gulden, 1963

I'm sure you can find a collector on eBay or somewhere else that would buy them off of you, especially if they're in decent condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted