Sure signs an unciculated coin has been cleaned

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrgooch, May 3, 2014.

1. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

What are the first signs an uncirculated coin has been cleaned?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Cleaned or improperly cleaned?
    For improperly cleaned - impaired luster, hairlines & unnatural wear in high points, lack of toning or toning remaining only in some areas.

4. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

The kind of cleaning that will detracted from the coin and the price.

5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

any cleaning effects the value of the coin unless you are dealing with ancients. You have to properly clean ancients to preserve them. This is not neccesary with modern us coins though.

non_cents likes this.
  6. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

I am interested in uncirculated silver coins that have been cleaned and how to detect them.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  7. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

Lack of cartwheel luster. Fine hairlines.

JPeace$, Burnside_Q and medjoy like this.
  8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Agreed, the cartwheel luster, or lack thereof, is the first thing to look at.

A cleaning will generally leave hairlines and other artifacts like others mentioned.
    However, over-dipping will not.
    Dipping eats away at the top layer (luster). So if the coin had a carbon spot or other dirt issues, the dipping will remove the spots along with the luster. This leaves you with areas where the luster breaks.

ldhair likes this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a great example of a cleaned coin. It belongs to someone here on CT but I forget who. You can see the surfaces and how they have been damaged. I have included another pic of a coin that has not been cleaned so hopefully you can see the difference. Dang, I messed up by not clicking full image for the panda coin, hopefully you can still see the difference. 1834qeobvm.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

It is funny how cleaned gold doesn't look nearly as bad as cleaned silver, though.

11. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

Can we keep the info on silver coins.

12. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

It's the same answer. Metal is metal. Some metals are more reactive, but cleaned is cleaned.

13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Nope

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Know I am being picky, but you have high aspirations and should know that harsh "cleaning affects the value" of coins - only if you can detect the cleaning. The effects of cleaning show up in fine hairlines mostly visible on flat fields, but also on the figures in the coins. Cleaning methods that do not involve rubbing of the coin (dipping) are generally undetectable until the diping process has disrupted the surface enough to cause lack of luster. Since not all uncirculated coins have luster, any disruption of surface finish should raise red flags about harsh cleaning.

josh's coins likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The coinage metals are usually considered to be gold, silver and copper. They all do have different surface chemistries, but harsh cleaning would show up in similar ways on all of the three.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think it would be helpful if we just started posting some photos of cleaned uncirculated silver coins for mrgooch.

[​IMG]

midas1 likes this.
  17. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

What is wrong with this one? I can not see anything?

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Look at the circular swirl lines on the neck and face. Also, the coin is absolutely lifeless, and has a dull finish, indicating lack of luster, in a coin that would have had good surfaces--it would have been solidly uncirculated, but it was wiped, polished or buffed (the circular hairlines are a dead giveaway).

19. Ethan

Ah that neck.....ok. Still that is a nice coin, I know I don't have a barber that good.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But do you have any that bad ?

And no, I'm not trying to be a wise guy. You see, to many a problem free VF is much preferable to a problem unc details.

geekpryde likes this.
  21. Ethan

I have a 1913 in Good. I would rather have that one.

Robert Ransom likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted