Sure looks like AT to me. How did they do it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Morgandude11, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

Many "coin doctors" typically use a sulfurous solution applied either by dipping or brush/swap, or exposure to a substance that contains sulfur which when heated drives off hydrogen sulfide or sulfur dioxide gas in an closed container--with or without supplementary heating--to effect the AT color change; others have used "clorox" or other over-the-counter solutions. Unless expertly controlled, ALL of these treatments affect the entire coins surface even if colors are variegated. Also, contact with cardboard or paper (which is typically manufactured using a Bisulfite for the Pulping operation) over time--and accelerated by storage in warm, moisture-laden locations--results in "natural" toning.

What I see in the examples posted by @Morgandude11 are coins that have been heated while still in the (presumably sonic-sealed) Plastic Holder, as some of the coins' surfaces have not shown any significant color change or toning. How can heating be accomplished without affecting the plastic--by placing the Holder on an Induction Range Coil and adjusting the "power" so that the heating is low to moderate over some period of time. The Induction Coil only heats the metal coin and not the non-metallic parts of the Holder. The "controlled" heating will cause the sulfur residue(s) in the cardboard to outgas, and either result in crescent-shaped toning beginning at the Rim with the progression of colors in the spectrum to be more pronounced there, and/or affect the surface with a mottled or patchy toning, with differences among coins due to their composition, size, position in the Holder, and processing through the various stages of Mint production.

micbraun and Morgandude11 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I don’t buy from them, but this was an exception. I wanted to own a cheap coin, or coins from mother-natures-showroom, deliberately, as a show and tell experience. I know that the two operate out of the same location, and sell a lot of coins. As I said before,I have reported them to eBay, who obviously did nothing. Since the “evidence” here was only $24.99, I was happy to own such obvious AT as a teaching tool for others.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, to that degree. You can do the very same thing with coins in TPG slabs - any TPG slab. And it has been done with a great many coins in TPG slabs !

I would further add that many coins in those Mint Sets and many in TPG slabs have developed very similar toning all quite naturally. With no intentional intervention of any kind. That's where the coin doctors got the idea.

5. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of any type of toning. However, I have a question... I bought (don't laugh!) a white round tube of Morgan Silver Dollars, all of which are 1921, from a TV sales show. They were almost pristine. That was almost 20 years ago. There was a post about a Morgan that had toning. I don't look at my coins every hour of the day, but after I read that post, I looked at my 1921 Morgans and saw a small rainbow type ring around the outside before the edge. I don't have the means or know how to make a picture to post. Without seeing the coin, is there any way to find out if that small ring of coloring is toning?
    I will be looking to hear from you as I am curious as a cat. Which brings me to another topic (sorry about this), anyway, Is there a cat owner here? I need help. My cat (Salvatore, Honey for short) recently, started to cry every time I would pick him up. He stops eating, too. I took him to the Vet and he told me Honey couldn't pee, so he put in a catheter. Have any of you had this problem. He's about 3 now.
    I'm sorry about the detour, but I love my cat. He sits with me when I'm on Coin Talk. Thanks to all that are cat lovers. (I also have six dogs. I live in the country with about 4 acres.)

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just based on your description yes it's toning.

All coins begin to tone the moment they are minted. On some it's very subtle, on others it's beyond prominent. But they all tone to one degree or another.

micbraun and Morgandude11 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted