Superstitions While Roll Searching

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Walnut, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Walnut

Walnut New Member

Today I picked up a couple half dollar boxes. They were stamped with a Feb 28, 2012 certification date. Something new for me I haven't seen them stamped certified before. So, needless to say, I didn't have much hope these boxes would have anything worth keeping. I figured the boxes were newly wrapped and full of recent dumps from searchers.

I got about 1/3 the way through my first box and the searching was going as I figured. These were going to be el-skunkos. Then I thought, OK, I will try my 'trick'. I went to my car and got a '64 dime I found earlier today and placed it on the table where I was searching. I have this superstition that I need to have some silver on the table nearby to 'attract' silver.

Two rolls later I found a dirty '67. That box gave me two 40% and a nice '64. I opened the second box and immediately saw a silver ender and I thought it would be a great box. It ended up giving me two 40% and a really nice '84 proof.

Not great, but better than the old el-skunko.

I have been doing this for awhile and it seems to work more often than not.

Anyone else want to admit to any quirks while they roll search? I thought this might be an interesting topic.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

:kewl:

4. TouchOfGrey

TouchOfGrey Member

I like to have silver on me while searching for silver...not that I legitimately think it does any good...but it's kinda funny.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious. :D

6. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Every time my roommate used to come home while I was searching - just as he walked through the door and yelled "HELLOOOOOOOO", I'd find something. The first time it was a buffalo nickel, the second, a 1968 proof.

So one day I was just getting skunked, and I asked him, "hey, can you walk outside then walk back in again?" We joked about this for a bit, and just as I opened my next roll, war nickel!!!

Guess I'll have to get him to come home more often :D

7. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

When I'm searching I'll grab loose change of whatever I'm hunting as "roll fillers" for when I pull silver out of the rolls. One coin out, one coin in. As far as figuring out if it works, I'm pretty sure that 50% of the time it works everything time... (That may be an exaggeration...)

8. TouchOfGrey

TouchOfGrey Member

For some reason I always feel like this is bad luck, whenever I go to pull loose change to fill spots in rolls that I found a silver in...so I usually just wait until I find some silver, then go to my loose change jar and grab one to replace it.

9. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Well, believe it or not, I was doing a box of halves a few weeks ago and was down to my last 10 rolls and did not find anything. So I got up, got a pen, and on the side wrote "SILVER!!!" and when I opened it I recieved a BU 1964 Kennedy, suprised I did it on my second to last roll, with the other also still being skunks. I wrote again "SILVER!!!" and of course, got 3 40% Kennedys! I decided not to do it on the last roll because I did not want to abuse my new found power :)

Draft saved Draft deleted