Superstition or Not - I was right!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Recently, Father's Day to be exact, I boasted about my Father's Day gifts, and in a rare moment, I showed an image of a coin I won from Agora but had not received. Well, today, after a few conversations with Alfred at Agora, low and behold the coin I won should not have been in the auction as it had sold in a previous auction.

I should have stuck to my guns and not tempted fate by showing something I did not have in my possession. Now I just sit forlornly and wait for my refund. Bummer!

Just in case you don't know of which coin I am speaking:

Legio XIIII (at least scarce)
    Legio XIIII.jpg

Needless to say, I will not tempt fate again!

Post anything you feel pertinent while you commensurate with my misfortune.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this Bing! I'm sure one will come your way soon, better and cheaper!

As for disappointments, here's a Ptolemy bronze from earlier in the year - I really, really wanted this because of the countermark on the reverse. I paid the guy, he made excuses, but never shipped. eBay refunded me, but I wanted the coin!

Ptolemy - countermark never shipped Feb-Apr 2018.jpg

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh man!! That is a big big bummer.

Yesterday in the Naville auction I bid on (and lost) my first legionary denarius. It was a Chortis Speculatorum.

I haven't bid on anything in a long time and bid on a few lots in Naville and Leu but didn't win anything. There will always be more opportunities :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  5. Bing

True, but some opportunities only come along once in a blue moon. This is the only Legio XIIII I've ever seen for sale.

One positive note: Most of you have seen my display case. When it was made, I did not provide for this legion as it is so scarce. At least now I don't have to figure out how to re-do my display (sniff, sniff :()

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Sorry to hear you won't be getting that neat legionary @Bing.

I also never post coins I don't have in hand. I'm not superstitious about anything else, but I fear too much hubris in this particular area cannot be good!

Whenever I miss out on a coveted piece I tell myself it will give me something to look forward to in the future. Sometimes that works.

7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Sorry to hear this @Bing . I hope you find another soon.

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Or you could go with the gambler's fallacy instead, and post the next one before receipt, thinking that it's unlikely to happen twice in a row! ;)

Sorry you missed out on that rarity. :( We will all be keeping our eyes open for another one for you.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm missing something here. They sold the coin in a previous auction but never delivered it and that winner did not raise the question strongly enough that they would bother looking for it? ....or they listed the coin in this sale without having seen it but just copied the listing of the phantom coin??? Perhaps someone bought it and has never gotten around to paying but owns permanent rights in case he ever does pay? It might be good to point out that you expect to receive the coin if it turns out to be available after all. The responsibilities of a completed sale seems secondary to preparing the next sale in the minds of too many sellers. Odd how problems more often arise with special coins than plain old ordinary coins. Mistakes happen. When mistakes happen that involve a coin like this, I wonder. I lost to three 'mistakes' in 2016 but none since. Worried here! I'm due.

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Nice way to think of the silver lining, Bing! But bummer about your, er their, xiiii

Last month I ended up being the winner of a decent Julia Paula denarius, but when time came to ship it the seller couldn't find it so got a refund.... I too wanted the coin. :(

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Bummer you lost out!

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

BUMMER Bing! :( That's a nice looking coin!

I never post those chickens before they hatch, but I've still had a few not make it to my door because of a listing mistake. One was a SWEET big ol' Lucius Verus sesterius. I didn't keep the pic, it made me to sad to look at it. :) (Kind of serious actually).

I did have a seller misplace or loose a low end coin I bid on once, it was just something I threw in with another purchase since I already had the shipping payed for anyway. Wasn't upset about it at all, but the ended up sending me this nicer coin to take it's place. Classy!

[​IMG]

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The June 5, 2018 auction is the only listing for this coin in Agora's archives. Maybe it was sold outside of an auction?

Curtisimo, red_spork and Orfew like this.
  14. Bing

I do not know the truth of the matter, but, according to Albert at Agora, it sold and was gone, but never taken out of the inventory. Sloppy if that is the case, but I can think of other reason that just may be devious. I bid a high price on this coin, so now I'm more concerned with getting my refund.

Thanks everyone for your condolences. The hunt goes on!

15. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that @Bing what a disappointment. My mind immediately goes to something nefarious, but hopefully it was an honest mistake.

You should check out the Harlan J Berk 204 Buy or Bid sale, there were a number of legionary denarii in the catalog.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I had not realized it before but there is some irony in the fact that Antony's rare legion that is causing Bing trouble is the same number XIIII as the most common legion for Septimius Severus legionaries. In fact over half of all Septimius legionaries are XIIII with the rest unevenly divided between the rest.
    ri3820bb0804.jpg

17. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Bing. I know another will come along. -d

Bing likes this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that happened, @Bing . Alfred at Agora isn't very organized. I still have a bad taste in my mouth after I won this coin at Agora's December 20, 2016 sale:

Maesa Juno Denarius.jpg
    I paid him immediately after I received an electronic invoice. When no shipping notification came, I sent him three e-mails asking about it, and he ignored every one of them. THREE WEEKS later, he sent an e-mail asking that I pay him for the coin. I called him, urging him to check his records and he did and admitted that I had, in fact, paid him and that for some reason I was listed as delinquent on the account. He did mail it, but it was a month before the coin arrived in the mail.

After I had the coin in my possession, I saw it listed at Sergey Nechayev's V-Coins store and ostensibly STILL FOR SALE. See this thread about it.

I have the sneaking suspicion (though I can't prove it) that Alfred sold the coin on behalf of Sergei but never actually had it in his possession. He finally got it from Sergei after I inquired about it over and over and then mailed it. I wonder what he'd have done if someone had purchased it from Sergei's V-coins store (where it was still for sale) in the interrim.

I suspect something like that happened to @Bing . Alfred may have listed it on behalf of a dealer who sold it at some other venue (v-coins? a show?) in the meantime; hence, it was "sold" and unavailable to Bing, even though he was the high bidder at the auction.

I won't comment on the ethics of this sort of arrangement, but I haven't participated in an Agora auction since.

Theodosius, dlhill132, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Im still waiting for this one...... I posted it, but only after I thought it was list. Waiting for a refund as well.
    s-l1600.jpg

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There was a time that ethics was expected but now most buyers continue to patronize sellers known for problems. Certainly sloppy is better than dishonest but we do not need to make excuses for business practices that make it hard to tell the difference. I hear about a seller being a one man operation as if that is a good reason not to keep records or hire a secretary. I also know the sellers I have dropped do not miss my small purchases in the least since there seems to be a regular supply of new customers who don't expect good service.

randygeki and tenbobbit like this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's very disappointing, Bing and I'm sorry that happened to you. All I can say is that when you actually find the coin your seeking, it will be all the more rewarding.

This coin was available from my favorite Israeli dealer and it was not uncommon or expensive but it was still a disappointment when it went missing after entering the USA. I over compensated for my frustration later by purchasing three of them from other dealers.

MISSINGSHIP.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    dlhill132, 7Calbrey, beef1020 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted