Superb Antony / Octavian, with a superb provenance!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael Stolt, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

We don't see very well how yellow the color actually is on that one ;)

Q

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Some gorgeous coins you have there. I really like the bust of Octavian on yours, it's quite difficult to find a pleasing bust of him on this issue.

Carthago likes this.
  4. Michael Stolt

Wow, great coin Andrew!

5. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

Thanks! Your 517/2 is terrific — never been able to find a perfect example so all my 517s are the scarcer type (the aureus, Lucius, and the Gellius issue). The Lucius is from Percy Webb's (RIC V) collection. I don't expect I'll ever own another 517/2, getting best in class for a less scarce type can be harder than getting best available for a scarce or rare type. Screenshot_20210124-070827_OneDrive.jpg Screenshot_20210124-070849_OneDrive.jpg

Better
    ?
    :happy:
    Screenshot_20210123-195507_Flickr.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  6. Michael Stolt

Wow again! I really like the Lucius, it's the one that was listed at Schulman last fall right?

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Much better, thanks for showing it in all its splendor.

Here's my own Lucius (definitely needing a better picture) :

[​IMG]
    Marcus Antonius and Lucius Antonius, Denarius
    Denarius minted in Ephesus in 41 BC
    M ANT IMP AVG III VIR RPCM NERVA PROQ P, Bare head of Mark Antony right
    L ANTONIUS COS, Bare head of Lucius Antonius right
    3.58 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 246, RCV #1509, Cohen #2

Following description taken from NAC auction 40, #617, about an other example of the same coin :
    "This denarius, depicting the bare heads of Marc Antony and his youngest brother Lucius Antony, is a rare dual-portrait issue of the Imperatorial period. The family resemblance is uncanny, and one wonders if they truly looked this much alike, or if it is another case of portrait fusion, much like we observe with the dual-portrait billon tetradrachms of Antioch on which the face of the Egyptian queen Cleopatra VII takes on the square dimensions of Marc Antony. When Antony fled Rome to separate himself from Octavian and to take up his governorship in Gaul, Lucius went with him, and suffered equally from the siege of Mutina. This coin, however, was struck in a later period, when Lucius had for a second time taken up arms against Octavian in the west. Marc Antony was already in the east, and that is the region from which this coinage emanates. Since Lucius lost the ‘Perusine War’ he waged against Octavian, and was subsequently appointed to an office in Spain, where he died, it is likely that he never even saw one of his portrait coins."

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted