Sun City, here we come!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, Apr 10, 2018.

1. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

We are not going to Sun City, Arizona to retire. But Heliopolis, Coele-Syria! Heliopolis, or modern day Baalbek, Lebanon, not to be confused with the city in Egypt. Heliopolis is about 50 miles to the northeast of Beirut (ancient Berytus). Berytus controlled the city as it sat along important trade routes to the north. Settlers from the 5th and 8th Legions under Caesar or Augustus most likely settled the Colonia Julia Augusta Felix Heliopolitana sometime before 15BC.

The Semitic god Ba'al was worshipped extensively in this area and appears in the names of people and places as well as in temple settings. Septimius Severus would marry Julia Domna whose father was the chief priest of Ba'al worship at Emesa. Elagabalus would also be promoted from chief priest of the cult of Ba'al to emperor not long after.

So let us give you a feel for where Heliopolis is located. First we go to the eastern end of the Mediterranean.
    IMG_6334.jpg

Then the province of Coele-Syria.
    IMG_6333.jpg

Then zoom in to see Heliopolis, located in the foothills of the Anti-Lebanon mountain range. (I had to read that mountain range three times before I realized that to the west there is the Lebanon mountain range so this is the eastern counterpart.)
    IMG_6332.jpg

Ziad Sawaya, in his book, "Histoire de Berytos et D'Heliopolis," describes Heliopolis as a subsidiary town of Beirut given to similarities in coinage types and style. Heliopolis did not break away from Beirut until 193AD when Septimius Severus granted the colony ius italicum rights and coinage appears in its own name. If you are interested, the book is divided into ten parts and available free for download on academia.edu. https://www.academia.edu/4895736/SA..._available_now_with_permission_of_the_editor_

I have found a modest piece in my search for coins of Heliopolis.

6301 6302.jpg

Septimius Severus, Heliopolis, Coele-Syria, AE25, COL HEL
    AE25
    Roman Provincial Heliopolis, Coele-Syria
    Septimius Severus
    Augustus: 193 - 211AD
    Issued: 196 - 198AD
    25.0 x 22.5mm 8.16gr 0h
    O: [IMP] L SEPT SE-V PERT AV[G]; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    R: COL HEL; Turreted, draped and veiled bust of Tyche, facing left, palm branch and cornucopiae behind.
    BMC 1; SNG Cop 428; Samaya 80 var. (obv. legend).

I am a big fan of Tyche wearing the turreted or "mural" crown. The crown was meant to symbolize the walls and battlements of a city as Tyche was their protector much like the towers and city wall were.

If you have any coins of Heliopolis, please share! Coins of the Severans and Tyche or turreted crowns always welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Who do you know that had a dekastyle temple? :) This dog of an AE26 only retains a few letters but they are the best ones: COL HEL. You can still tell the coin's columns were Corinthian. Your coin is smoother but still only has those same six letters on the reverse.
    pi0970bb0873.jpg
    [​IMG]

These coins and the much more popular perspective view are not rare but I have never seen a nice one. Most are rough and not well struck.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great bronze!

nicholasz219 likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Thanks for the write-up and a cool coin to boot!

nicholasz219 likes this.
  6. nicholasz219

@ancient coin hunter Thank you for the compliments. I try to not be boring.

@dougsmit Thats a great temple piece, a little roughness notwithstanding. The large flan size provides room for some really beautiful designs.

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin nicholasz219, and very interesting write up. I have one to add, the temple of Jupiter. 2015-01-07 01.08.10-2 (550x275).jpg

8. nicholasz219

@Ancient Aussie I have been looking for one of those temple from bird’s eye perspective for a while. Thought I was going to be the proud owner of one in an auction this week. Sadly, I lost.

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Keep trying they come up every so often, I know how you feel though in a recent auction I had a high bid on the Propylaeum (entrance) of the temple of Zeus-Heliopolis and got pummelled. 244755.l.jpg

10. nicholasz219

That is basically where I was. High bidder for three weeks then I increased my max to plus four units and still lost miserably.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Thanks for the great write up. Enjoy yourselves and don't forget to dig for ancients and post them. :)

nicholasz219 likes this.
  12. nicholasz219

@Collecting Nut Thanks for the compliment. I am glad to see other members get excited for these coins too. Seems like the bronzes get left behind the big fancy silver pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted