(Sulla80) Top 10 Coins for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Nov 22, 2020.

?

Vote for your favorites (up to 3)

1. 1 - Roma

2. 2 - Mark Antony and Octavian

3. 3 - Augustus, Tyche and Orontes

4. 4 - A Decade of Gallienus

5. 5 - Julius Caesar in Antioch

6. 6 - Constantine VII, Born in the Purple

7. 7 - The Homeland of Achilles

8. 8 - Hadrian and Osiris

9. 9 - Aristotle on Mytilene

10. 10 - Flavian Dynasty

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Just got in from work.
    I would say my favs are the Vespasian #1 and the Marcus Antonius/ Octavian #9/ both have beautifull detailed portraits/ and interesting historical aspects. The others are really stunning! Congrats on your fine 2020 coin top ten.:D
    John

Sulla80 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As I see it the letters add interest. I voted for #10.

zumbly and Sulla80 like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Excellent collection. Period.

Sulla80 likes this.
  5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Thanks, all for the votes, and comments! It is always interesting to see the "why" behind the rankings. The wisdom of the crowd would say that Vespasian should have ranked higher in my top 10. @dougsmit, and @Scipio, I agree with you both that the mystery of the graffiti on the RR denarius with Roma only adds.

Thanks, Q, and just in case: save your kidneys - I know a guy in France who can help you out with a hecte ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Cucumbor likes this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..dandy coins....all my choices make me change my mind..:rolleyes:

Sulla80 likes this.
  7. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

@Sulla80 Congratulations on an epic top 10 this year. All coins are wonderful, but I voted for the Flavian denarius, the Augustus with river god, and the Trajan with canopic jar reverse. I can't think of a more interesting thing to show on a coin than a canopic jar! I learned from the Flavian that there was an Ephesus mint that struck imperial coinage. And the swimming river god is one of my favorite types of images on ancient coins.

Sulla80 likes this.
  8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I think the crowd is right about that Ephesus denarius. :D I picked the three most popular, they're all great coins though!

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.41.01 PM.jpg

Johndakerftw, Sulla80, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Well @Sulla80 this thread has been a complete joy to read. Thanks for that. I( will bet that you do not have to guess which one is may top choice. The dynastic issue under Vespasian is one of my favourite Ephesian types. I have RIC 1395.

Thanks for posting these amazing coins and for the entertaining write up.

Vespasian_RIC_1395_2_copy-removebg-preview.png

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great way to kick off our year end favorites season, @Sulla80! I went with the crowd as well with 10, 2 and 1, but man, all the coins on your list are excellent and enviable. I've always enjoyed your choices and writeups and am looking forward to seeing more in 2021.

Sulla80 likes this.
  11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Carefully selected coins Sulla80 over a wider period of time 377 BC-913 AD. In the end it will be a very interesting collection of antique coins. I vote for coins 10, 2 and 1.

Sulla80 likes this.
  12. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

What a great coins @Sulla80! A superb year for you! I am not a Roman collector but #1 and #2 are great. Since I am a sucker for Seleukid coins I voted for #5 as well, a great example of the type. But they are all very nice honestly, also I like that hekte.

Sulla80 likes this.
  13. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Excellent set ! , I voted for #2 Mark Antony and Octavian , #10 Flavian Dynasty and #3 Augustus, Tyche and Orontes

Sulla80 likes this.
  14. svessien

svessien Senior Member

You really have added some excellent coins to your already splendid collection, @Sulla80
    It was hard to vote for only 3 of them.

Sulla80 likes this.
  15. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Fantastic set of coins, well done. My favourites were the two from Antioch, both well outside of my collecting area, but both irresistible regardless. The reverse of the Augustus coin is superb.

Sulla80 likes this.
  16. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Very beautiful coins! I like #1, 3 and 10.

Sulla80 likes this.
  17. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Congratulations for the astonishing coins.
    My choices were 3,5 and 7 but I think everybody here would be proud with any of the coins in your Top 10.

Sulla80 likes this.
  18. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Thanks, All, for the many nice comments and as mentioned in the OP, for all of the coins shared with curiosity, expertise, inspiration and humor this year. Vespasian still running with a strong lead in the polls - perhaps I should move it up to #9 :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    DonnaML likes this.
  19. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I like every single coin on your list and truly enjoyed reading your little write-ups. It is definitely hard to pick a favorite, but your number one would also be mine – not despite, but exactly because of the graffito!

(Also, please don't start collecting medieval. I could see us competing for the same coins. ;))

Sulla80 likes this.
  20. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

As seems to be the common theme, I also rated your coin #10 as my favorite: it's a wonderful piece. Congrats!

Sulla80 likes this.
  21. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Great coins. My favorite is the Roma one. The reverse is very artistic, almost like a painting.

Sulla80 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted