suggestions on a project.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by tdogchristy90, Feb 20, 2014.

1. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

So I'm completely new to world coins. I just finished a us type set and have been thinking about a fun short project. This is what I came up with. As a historian it'd be neat to do a short set of "period peices". I'm thinking maybe 3-5 peices. They'd cover Rome, Middle age, renaissance, and colonial, then maybe a modern for a total of 5. I was thinking the "she wolf" for Rome, something Richard or Saladin related for middle ages, not sure on renaissance (maybe Florience?) and then Massachusetts colonial. I just wanted inputs on suggested coins, cheapness, difficult, just any thoughts for those that know this stuff as again I'm completely new to world coinage. Thoughts? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enochian

enochian silver eater

i have a 13th century silver long cross penny from henery the third

4. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Assemble your short set with coins that you like. I'd recommend that you post them here prior to buying them just so the experts can give their opinions before you buy. There are many fakes & rip-offs that the experts at CT can help you avoid.

Consider adding an ancient Greek coin to your short set. (Greek coins were made for several hundreds of years before Roman coins were made). :) Your short set might start with something Greek like an Athenian owl coin and then include a Roman coin or two & then a Byzantine and something from Egypt and something from Persia, and .......... Well, consider adding an ancient Greek coin to your list.:)

Here is a new style Athens Athena/owl and a classical style Athens Athena/owl coin. Both of these coins are from Athens and they are both Tetradrachms. New Tet Obv 1.jpg IMG_1440.jpg IMG_1447.jpg New Tet Rev 1.jpg

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

you can find some nice ancient and medieval coins various price ranges, very easy to find.
    post here first if you're unsure about a coin. if you just plan to buy a few representatives without having to worry to much, i'd do vcoins.

here's the search for "urbs roma" ...one of the common coins with a wolf and twins...

http://www.vcoins.com/en/Search.aspx?search=true&searchQuery=urbs roma&searchQueryExclude=&searchCategory=0&searchCategoryLevel=2&searchCategoryAncient=True&searchCategoryUs=False&searchCategoryWorld=False&searchCategoryMedieval=False&searchBetween=0&searchBetweenAnd=0&searchDate=&searchUseThesaurus=True&searchDisplayCurrency=&searchDisplayAsList=False&searchIdStore=0&searchQueryAnyWords=&searchExactPhrase=&searchTitleAndDescription=False&searchDateType=0&searchMaxRecords=100&SearchOnSale=False

i think just buying a couple ancient coins was my plan a couple years ago.....:rolleyes:

Eng likes this.
  7. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

Thanks for the help guys. vcoin was a lot of help. I'll post some examples in this thread and get opinions, maybe tomorrow.

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted