Suggestions on 1/2 hour U.S. Cent presentation to 1st-5th Graders

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I can choose any topic I want, but I thought that Cents made, well, sense. ;-)

I'm not sure I'll have access to a video projector (for PowerPoint), so I may have to print out 8.5"x11" color pictures of each coin.

I was thinking about showing them pictures of each of the "cents" that we have had over the years, starting with the latest (Lincolns), moving back through small cents back to Flying Eagles, hitting the large Cents, and maybe throwing in the Fugio and some patterns if I have time.

To give them something "hands-on", I was thinking of having the kids search through several rolls of cents from the bank . Maybe have them try to draw a Cent from memory. (I think I might "seed" the rolls with some Wheaties, one for each kid to keep).

I can go a little longer than 30 minutes if I need to, but I told them to have some games for the kids in case I talk too fast.

Thoughts?

Coinlover67 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Gotta have Large Cents present for physical examination. Their size will fascinate the kids, and the lesson of monetary value depending on metal content will be a concept they won't see anywhere else in school these days. :)

Dougmeister likes this.
  4. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Here's a game. Have the kids match penny with the picture of the president that was in the White House at the time. A bit much for the first graders, but maybe not for the older kids.

Dougmeister likes this.
  5. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Good idea, definitely have large cents on hand. Like the idea of seeding the rolls.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted