Suggestions for a world series please

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Kirkuleez, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I like to stay close to the boarders. Mexico and Canada for me. Oh and there is that EU stuff like Conders that I love.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

every time i read the topic name i thing Dodgers vrs Tampa Bay.

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Yeah, I was going to say Cubs vs. Yankees.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Cubs?? Am I missing something?

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I didn't say it was likely, just that it's a World Series I'd like to see.

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

World Series maybe not, but I would like to see my Saints play in the Superbowl at home next year. Even though the NFL has done everything it can to hurt our team for what every other team also does. We still have Drew Brees. WHO DAT!!!

But back to the thread, I was looking at some coins on ebay and I love this one. I feel like a real newb asking this question, but when it comes to World coins, I guess I am. So what do you think of this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-1901-1-Penny-Maundy-Silver-Proof-Like-Unc-H928-/230751002219?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8073984552819145002

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You're right Kirk. That stuff has been going on ever since I was a kid watchin' the Giants. Y.A. Tittle took some mean and nasty hits late in his career......like nobody was head huntin' him. NO's mistake was letting it be known that this sort of thing was accepted practice. You don't pay players extra money to be bounty hunters and then let that little detail slip on out to the mainstream.

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The Saints defense has sucked for the last couple of years. We win because of offense. My question is why were the Saints the only team to pay any price for this. It is widely known that every Greg Williams team has done this exact same thing and absolutely nothing happened to them. My guess is because that one of the teams is in New York. I'm not sayning that the Saints are innocent, they deserve to be punished for what they did, as does every other team that has done it.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They all do it. Your guys just got caught.

And they'll all continue to do it. And there's no way to police it than to otherwise make pro ball powder puff football....

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Originally Posted by Collect89
    Hello Kirkuleez,

I would suggest that you consider collecting one coin from each country (Afghanistan to Zimbabwe). Just buy a coin that you like & then buy another one. It is a great way to enter the realm of World coin collecting IMHO. Get yourself a Krause World Coin Catalog & have fun.

P.S. When you get duplicates, just put the lesser coin in a box. (The duplicates box will eventually fill up. )

Hello Kirkuleez,

Please don't give up the idea of 1 coin per country too quickly. Take a look at these coins I picked-up this weekend. These first five are from East Africa, Austria, Ireland, The Philippines, and Sweden.

Attached Files:

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

These next five are from Somalia, USA, German Democratic Republic (GDR), Tonga, and Rhodesia.

Attached Files:

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

These are British West Africa, Honduras, Portugal, Fiji, and Italy.

Thesea are all just coins I found this weekend. I collect one per country & then have begun to specialize in certain countries & themes. For example, I collect the Italian 500 Lire depicted by date. (The date is on the edge of the coin). My 1-per-country collection hasn't gotten bad or boring yet.
    :)

Attached Files:

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Another topical collection you might consider is to collect one of each denomination from around the world. (IMO this would get boring & bad more quickly than a 1-per-country collection). Here are expamples of the Lempira, Somalo, Peso, Cent, and Seniti.

Attached Files:

15. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Can I please have the 20 centavos? Thanks.

I like your idea of collecting a coin from every country. But would this include countries that no longer exsit? What about countries where the coinage went through a change, like marks to euros, etc. Or when there were complete changes in government and coinage. For example, German States, Germany Empire, German Weimar, Germany Democratic Republic, Third Reich (Nazi) Germany, etc..

That would be a serious undertaking, and very cool. :)

16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

To the OP, I am just not sure how I can help in suggestions. I don't know what metal you like, how much total you wish to spend, how much per coin you wish to spend, how hard of a series you want to try to compete, anything.

I could suggest collecting a complete set of 20th century british half pennies as easily as I could suggest collecting a complete set of sovereigns AU up. Quite a bit of difference in out of pocket outlay and ease of acquisition.

Myself, I am a big fan of type sets. My personal suggestion, absent any information from you, would be a Mexican/Canadian/Great Britain 20th century type set to start. Wide range of interesting coins that can usually be found fairly easily.

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Well a high end set. Money is not that big of an issue for me and I want my first world collection to really be something nice. I posted a link yesterday for a coin that I really like, but besides likeing it, I don't know much about it. Is that a decent price, and how tough would it be to do a complete set of similar quality? Thank you for your help.

18. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

IDK about the price sir, as I do not specialize in them. I would say quality is not an issue as long as you have patience and the wallet to afford nice pieces. Like a lot of coin collecting, its easy to spend money, but takes patience to wait for superior examples. The three series I through out there were because I have dansco's for Canada and Mexico, and have seen lots of nice UK coins available. Just suggestions. :)

World coins really are one of the last places were good old fashioned hole filling of albums is possible. Way too many "high dollar" coins in US series nowadays to risk not buying a slab.

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I didn't click the link until now.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-BRITA...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8073984552819145002
    The coin lists in Krause for $20 in UNC and $35 in BU. Of course, the coin in the link appears quite gemmy. Apparently you like gemmy toned coins :smile.

I don't know what the set of 1901 Maundy money would cost. My wild guess (SWAG) would be that a Gem BU 1901 set might cost $250. Further, I don't suspect it would be easy to find matching toned gemmy coins to complete the set.

I purchased a set of 1933 Maundy money a few years ago. I think the cost was something like $125 for my set at that time. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It is fun because my definition of the 1 coin per country is always evolving. Of course, it can include whatever you want it to include. My collection initially started with the countries that were listed in the Krause catalogs from 1800 to date. I initially limited it to circulating coins only but I've kept it fun.

Here is a Biafra coin. This country is no longer with us today.

When I found this coin from Ajman, It easily found a place in the collection. Ajman is one of the Emirates.

I even put this "Half Buck" from Buck Island into the collection.

Attached Files:

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Well, now i want them all!!!!!! I really like the British and Canadian large cents, I keep going back to them. But I cant seem to pull myself away from the, now identified by Collect89, Maundy money. I would like to do a single denomination year set. And yes, I like gemmy coins. Toning I just consider a bonus, I usually won't pay extra for toning (except for proof Trade dollars).

Draft saved Draft deleted