Suggestions for a world series please

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Kirkuleez, Apr 26, 2012.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Almost - see my location tag: North Rhine Westphalia, Germany, EU. The nearest place in NL is about half an hour from here (if I speed a little :D ) ...

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I took the train. How much would it costt, IMO, to ship to the US?

4. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i'm trying to do that!! it's quite the challenge.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think the German notgeld coins are pretty cool. Many are inexpensive, there's a lot of different ones, and it's not a straight date/mm series so you can put a unique collection together.
    notgeld duren 1918 obv.jpg notgeld duren 1918 rev.jpg

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

The problem with the German coins that someone suggested is that if you like to really complete the set, that means getting all the mintmarks, and Germany has at least 6 or 7 from every year. That can be quite a project.

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

No doubt hiddendragon. You are absolutely correct. That is why I suggested a yearly set. Just for the Empire series. Certain years may have a high mintage from some mints, while others are quite rare. Thats what I like about it. If you finish the year set, you can decide to jump into a year/mm set. That is a massive goal to achieve. :)
    I started with just the type set, and I believe that is about 40 different coins.

yeah Lon, I also like the notgelds.

[​IMG]

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I have a binder full of world coins but only 20 or so are rare or at least special. Many world coins aren't worth that much so if you're ok with that, then go for it. I have changed my approach when it comes to world coins. If you spend a few hundred you can go rare, it's not that hard and the world is wide open. :D This half sovereign is so rare I was totally surprised and cautious about getting it off ebay. I had it tested by my friend with a mass spectrometer, 24k solid gold and after that I wrote to the Pobjoy mint. Ultra rare, although they have had a set or two sold on Heritage, you just don't see them around. :thumb: I love showing this off, as you can see. :D

Attached Files:

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW Chris, I think the coin repositioned the statues of the naked women, proving that not much has changed since the "Venus" of Willendorf

[​IMG]

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Kirkuleez,

I would suggest that you consider collecting one coin from each country (Afghanistan to Zimbabwe). Just buy a coin that you like & then buy another one. It is a great way to enter the realm of World coin collecting IMHO. Get yourself a Krause World Coin Catalog & have fun.

P.S. When you get duplicates, just put the lesser coin in a box. (The duplicates box will eventually fill up.:D )

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Attached Files:

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Germany has four mints and five minting facilities (thus five mintmarks). Each of those €10 collector coins, however, is issued by one mint only, according to some rotation schedule. With the sports coins it gets more complicated, but even in those cases one does not "have" to buy five. (In fact, nobody "has" to buy any. ;) )

Christian

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Thanks for all of the advice guys. The moderns are beautiful, just really not my thing. Those Germans sure are cool and I'm not afraid of all of the mints/dated. You ever try to put together an old US gold set? That gets a bit challenging with all of those mints, years and types. Not to mention varieties. I think I do want to do a proof British large cent collection as well though, I just have to support my proof habit. I really need rehab, no way I could quit proof collecting cold turkey.

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Nice. One my favorites. I like the WWI soldier.

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow, what a babe! :D lol, too funny!!

17. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

I just want to note that i like this thread :)

Amanda

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

And that Venus is even fairly young - about 27,000 years. Here is another lady who is roughly 35,000 years old. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Hohle_Fels

Here is a fully dressed but dangerous one. Judith and Holofernes, with her being about to chop his head off, on last year's €2 Giorgio Vasari commem from San Marino.

Christian

Attached Files:

19. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello Christian

I'm sure this is every man's fantasy. Peace and love:

Amanda

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

As honest as that reply was, I like to collect, so getting one of every country cold get bad quick.

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Nothing like violence on coins!

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted