Such a rare coin, at such a low price.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coingeek12, May 17, 2014.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

Why is it that a 1932 panama decimo de balboa is worth 7-40 dollars, yet it has the low mintage of 150,000. I have been blessed enough to get an VF specimen for a few cents. (might be Fine at the least) and i was ecstatic to learn that only 150,000 were minted, with a few thousand estimated to be melted. I then found out (for some reason) that a coin with a much higher mintage (still a world coin mind you) in the same grade as this one, would be worth 2 times the value of this coin! (I also own this coin as well) Now i understand the concept of supply and demand, but i was told these were popular coins, and the other coin is not at ALL well know.
    Can someone explain this to me please?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

supply/demand. The principle of more people wanting to get a coin with a higher mintage, then less people wanting to get a coin with a lower mintage.

Basic economics, really.

4. coingeek12

Yes, but what i dont get, is a coin that is less popular that the Panama coin, has a higher value, and it even has a higher mintage.

5. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Proof the other coin mentioned is less popular?

6. coingeek12

I googled it, compared to googling the other coin, the results are pretty clear which is more popular.

Draft saved Draft deleted