Success in Latest Frank Robinson Auction?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Oct 30, 2019.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I made two bids in yesterday's auction and won both, thankfully. How did you guys and gals do?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I made three bids, but I haven't heard from Frank as yet.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lost out on a few tets and Parthians, o well.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I just checked his site for the auction results. It looks like I was the winner in only one of the lots I bid on. Ah well. That's auction life for ya.

6. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Looks like I got one and lost one, so I don’t guess I can complain about that. More money for the next auction!

zumbly and ancient coin hunter like this.
  7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Two out of three, it seems.

8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I got a ball & a game used jersey! :D:joyful:

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I bid on about 10 different lots and looks like I won 1. My wife will be happy.

10. ancient coin hunter

If I were still married I'd probably get the same reaction!

Roman Collector and furryfrog02 like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

2/6 As usual I was leading on several Sunday but last minute action took half. One I wanted went for $156 against a $25 start. I hope it will be happy in it's new home. One I won for $29 on my $65 bid. There is never anyway to know what someone will bid for any given coin. I hope all will be happy with what they won. I hope some of you will post photos when they arrive.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  12. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I was 1 for 1... which is nice.
    Wasn't going to bid at all but was surprised to see so many on the "Going Cheap" list and got lucky (or that is what I am telling myself until I actually see it..)

13. ancient coin hunter

I thought that the unsold lot list was very interesting. I perused it this morning to see if I could fill any additional holes in the collection.

14. furryfrog02

My bids were all for lower end coins since that is what I can afford.

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Unsold lists are often very informative and worth checking. We can play, "What was he thinking?" setting the minimum bid on absolute trash so high that it could never sell. With a guy who has been doing this for years (like Frank) and who probably knows which coins will draw bids, there may be few surprises. I recall one coin he listed in more than one sale that did not sell. Are there coins no one wants at any price? There are coins too nasty or too boring that most of us don't want them but it only takes one to adopt the ugly. I dd not look at today's unolds because I had looked at the 'going cheap' list and did not find anything I wanted at the price. The unsolds ranged up to $450 (a very nice coin but one I have in 'good enough for me' condition --- I should buy it and enter it in next year's Curtisimo contest since it is obviously too good for me). We gain out of such lists and prices realized in general a game worth playing. Ask yourself what would have to have been different to make that coin sell. Consider whether you would have wanted the thing at any price? What we learn might help us understand why we win so few or too many of our bids.

17. furryfrog02

Give me your nasty, your boring, your ugly coins yearning to be adopted, The wretched refuse of your auctions.

Honestly, I can find something worthwhile in each coin. They all deserve homes :p

green18, Marsyas Mike, dadams and 4 others like this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

In the unsold list was a Phillip the Arab sestertius which was pretty good at a decent price. Would have snapped it up but I already have one plus a couple of provincial pentassarions which are about the same size as a sestertius.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

dougsmit likes this.
  21. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted