Submitting proof coinage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 5dollarEdunote, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Hello collectors,

Today I visited the mint, and after looking at the gift shop I have decided that I might get the $5 Army Gold Commemorative. But, because I dont like the case it comes with and I want more protection for it, I want to sumbit it to PCGS. I am thinking about getting the proof version, so I am worried about how I can safely remove the coin, package it, and send it to PCGS.

1. What is the best way to remove the coin from its capsule? Can you send it in the capsule?

2. If you cant send it in the capsule, what do you put the coin in? Ive heard about flips, but I'm worried the fact that the coin can slide around in the flip might hurt the coins chances of getting PR-70 because of the coins overall "fragileness" being a proof. Are flips safer than I think?

Thank you!

Im in a rush so I might have forgotten some of my questions or made errors.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The capsule that the mint uses is as good as an Air-Tite, and Air-Tite holders are among the best there are. Your coin is perfectly safe in that holder.

That said, unless you are reasonably certain that the coin would definitey get the 70 grade, it would be a waste of money to submit it for grading for you can buy those graded 69 for the same price as you can the one you bought.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I agree with Doug, if you want it slabbed buy it already slabbed. (I'm assuming that since your post was written in future tense that you haven't already purchased the coin.)

5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

With NGC, at least, you can send the coin in the original capsule and they will remove it for a nominal fee ($1) before grading.

PGCS is probably the same. Just give them a call.

Otherwise, leave the coin in the original capsule. If you drop it on the floor....

guy

6. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I have submitted Gold proof coins in there capules to PCGS. I put them into the flip with the coin number listing in the other side. In most cases they have returned the air tights to me with the graded coin.
    Comments about buying them is 69 grade are right about costs but what of the added value if yours is a 70. Thats why I sent mine in averaging better than 50% so the few I buy are still going in.

Draft saved Draft deleted