Submitting Modern Coins (2015)

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by HowardStern, Jun 23, 2015.

1. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

I love searching rolls and bags for mint errors and high grades.
    I have been saving high grade 2015 coins I found in bags and rolls.
    The ones I saved are pretty flawless, however, I think the coins in the unc mint sets are probably more high grade. Right now there is no distinction between them. The mint sets are no longer satin coated. I feel like I searched through 100's of rolls and bags when I should have just bought 100 unc mint sets. Is it possible to find 68's and 69's in bags and rolls, or only in the sets? Anybody have any experience in this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i think it would be tough to find those grades in bags or rolls as they go thru counting machine and will have lots of contact marks...

4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The mint sets use the same coins the bags and rolls do. I have bought both and the quality is the same. The one thing about the mint sets is you get all of the denominations.

5. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

You really think they are the same quality? I don't think so. I found an ms69 2010 cent in a mint set that I could never have found in a roll or bag. The reason I ask is because I searched through a lot of 2015 quarters and saved all the 68+ ones(about 1 in every 2000 or so). I like the new S mint unc quarters. I haven't ordered any 2015 mint sets yet so I don't know the quality of the coins in them. I will take your word on it though Gron. Thanks for your input.

6. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

It is my understanding the mint set coins are now struck with extra pressure on different presses than the coins minted for circulation. I believe something to that effect was printed on a card on mint sets from the late 1990's to 2000's. I don't recall if it included in the new packaging since 2007.

7. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The only denominations I can order from the mint is .25, .50, and 1.00. I have ordered all of those denominations from the mint in either bag, rolls or both. I have found many coins especially quarters that I would grade 67. There even may be a 68 or two in there. But, I still see the same bag marks, scrapes, and spots in mint sets like I do in the other delivery methods. I buy the mint sets for the denominations I can't get from the mint in roll or bag form. That I would agree is better quality than waiting for these denominations to show up at the local bank.

Here is a nickel reverse from the 2014 mint set. Notice the big scratch on the door of Monticello. The spots are not on the plastic. Well not all of them. There is another scratch on the left side of Monticello. That's the only pic I took. While the nickel has a nice strike the scratch doesn't equate to a 68 or above in my book. The reason I took the pic was because the nickel did have a really nice strike and would grade high if not for the scratches and spots. I just expected more from the mint set also.

Coins IV 007.JPG

Naplesjack likes this.
  8. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

Notice how the mint issues the ATB quarters in two distinct sets: Uncirculated and a Circulation set. The coins in the circulation set are actually uncirculated, but are simple pulled from the circulation strike coins. The uncirculated set contains coins minted similarly to the ones in the full mint set: special presses with more pressure on the strike.

9. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

I sent in one of my best 2015-s Homestead mint bag quarters to ANA CS and it came back an ms68. I graded it a 69 and just wanted to see if anacs had the guts. I value their opinion more than the the other guys when it comes to modern coins.

10. Naplesjack

Naplesjack Member

Well said.. Thanks for the info. This type of comment and analysis is why I follow these threads and appreciate the sharing of opinions on the coins. It's how we all improve our knowledge base. Thanks!!

Draft saved Draft deleted