Stunning original Capped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, May 18, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Just got this today. Bought from an old collection still in it's old Whitman flip. I paid $625 and it's worth every cent and then some to me. This is an Overton 103a Curl base 2, but there's a die crack through "50 C." which is not mentioned until the O-104 in the Overton book, making this a VLDS (very late die state)... so late that I've never seen it before on any other coin. What do you think of her?
    DSCN3653-horz.jpg DSCN3660-horz.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pfg1961

pfg1961 New Member

Nice coin !! Tough date to begin with, an the crack is way cool . Wish i still had my set :(

4. pfg1961

pfg1961 New Member

P/S . School me . Why does the crack not show up over the 1 ?? Wear off ???

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Great question, but I can't school you as I don't know either!

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

C-B-D:

Another nice coin you picked up. It was a pleasure meeting you down at the Winter Fun Show. Both at the hotel and the PCGS luncheon. I'm going to take a stab at answering pfg1916 question. If you look at the blow up by clicking on the picture, it appears the the die crack hits the thicker area where the one is, and follows a line across and around the top part of the numeral. Then it continues on afterwards. Just my guess so anyone else with better knowledge, please correct my error.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    C-B-D likes this.
  7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Possibly, but more likely that the depth of the 1 on the die was deeper than the depth of the crack.

micbraun, Paul M., ToughCOINS and 2 others like this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This. Typical of die cracks thru devices, in fact.

That coin won't hang around long if you put it in inventory, C-B-D. The first customer with enough money in their wallet will snag it. :)

Paul M. likes this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Thanks. I call it XF45. I have to send a few in for grading. But at XF45 this one I feel is a guaranteed CAC coin as well.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Agreed. It's pretty well-struck so what we see as "wear," probably is. All the same I'd be pricing it as an AU. :)

C-B-D likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

A BEAUTY!

C-B-D likes this.
  12. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Worthy of a Best Answer!

Seattlite86 and Paul M. like this.
  13. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

You found a great coin! I am not an expert on these varieties, but I love its condition.

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Drop dead gorgeous!

green18 likes this.
  15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It can wear off, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Instead, it seems that the die break wasn't severe (deep) enough to cause a crack at the 1. The parts of the die that have been punched with something are effectively work-hardened a little more at the site of the punches than in the fields, so they may crack differently there, or not at all. You can frequently observe die cracks that connect letters or stars together on Morgan dollars. Sometimes these become cuds, but usually the work-hardened letters and stars seem to hold the dies together.

Seattlite86, Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quite agree........:)

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quite agree also.......:)

18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You don't get more original that that. I think this is one of the very few CBHs that has not been messed with.

C-B-D likes this.
  19. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

That's a beast of a coin! I'd say it's a really pretty XF, and looks original to me. It's quite a privilege to own a coin that's been beautifully aging for nearly 200 years like this one has.

C-B-D likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Beauty of an original bust half

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I feel blessed to have found it before some fool dipped it out or tried to alter it. GLORY HALLELUJAH! I kave SAVED her!

Seattlite86 and NSP like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted