Stuff like this happens to me more often than I'd like to admit...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 12, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Well, wine anyway. ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Now, now, v. Kurt. You're not setting a good example to us youngsters !!!

4. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

When I have a tiny coin or artifact I put it in a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 flip.
    Since those don't travel well with 2x2 flips I usually slip these small
    ones into a 2x2. Generic and MSA tokens start out 1 1/2 and go in
    1 1/2 pages to save storage @30 slots versus 20 slots per page.
    When I drop and lose one it is usually the most embarrassing way
    possible. Enroute to be shipped my most recent embarrassment
    was a previously unknown car wash token that I had promised
    to give to the car wash compiler Jim Delaney. It is impossible
    to crawl around the floor looking when you only have the use
    of one hand temporarily. I desperately need a grand kid to visit.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Izzat the ricin pellet that killed Georgi Markov?

Ahh, yes. Matured cheese. I wondered why I keep smelling like this. Good to know.

Exactamundo.

It was! Or rather, is. I thought about you when I saw the hot pink toning on it. That particular gold fanam is probably a fantasy issue, but it's still a pretty little thing.

jwitten likes this.
  6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

It’s Thai Pod Duang, more commonly known as bullet money. It’s from the 1820s-1850s.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Figured as much. Just didn't know those were so small. Or that they had umbrella guns in 19th century Thailand. ;)

8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

It’s a 1/8 baht, or fuang. It weighs 1.77 grams, so within the weight range. Ideally it’d be a bit higher.

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I had this happen to me today... I bought some coins from JA recently to use in my classroom, and while cleaning up my desk I noticed one was missing. I searched everywhere, but couldn’t find it. As I was then taking out the trash tonight, I decided to be thorough and check it, and there the coin was sitting at the bottom of the bin.

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

About a decade back, while preparing a grading submission at my desk, I inserted a very expensive coin into a flip when my wife suddenly began calling me frantically. I thought she was injured, so I dropped everything I was doing and ran to help. If memory serves me well, we had a water leak in the laundry room . . . certainly not an injury, but still an urgent matter.

I tended to the issue, cleaned up the floor, put away my tools, washed up a bit, and then and went back to my coin business.

When I returned to finish preparing the submission, the coin wasn't there. It wasn't on the desk and I didn't see it on the floor. Had I carried it elsewhere with me when I left my desk?

Suddenly I was sweating bullets . . . this was one of the most expensive coins I'd ever bought, and I'd lost track of it. I could rest easy knowing it would eventually turn up, if only I knew it wasn't going to be scratched, bent, ground underfoot or end up in the landfill. Trouble was, I couldn't know any of those things wouldn't happen. One crisis ended and another begun!

I retraced all of my footsteps from the time my wife beckoned me, all of the way through the end of the repair, stopping and meticulously searching everywhere I'd been before . . . beside and behind the washer, in the basement, in the tool chest, in in the laundry basket, in the bathroom . . . yes, even in the trash. I became increasingly stressed as I eliminated my coin's potential hiding places.

After exhausting every place I'd been I searched a second time . . . by then my wife thought I'd lost it. After more than an hour of intense searching, she convinced me to take a break and cool off. I don't recall how I cooled off, but I did . . . must've gone out and done some yard work.

Later on I returned to my desk, spun my chair around to sit on it, and the flip (and coin) flung out from under the seat. It had been resting on the curved L-shaped steel back support that disappears beneath the seat, out of sight, and well-protected.

Stress - relieved!

11. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Had the same thing happen at the 1998 ANA Convention in Portland, Oregon. A group of us were showing off out Byzantine collections. I wanted to show them a very rare follis of Constans II, opened the red box passed some around for show and tell. Looked for the follis and "puff" it was gone.

We tore that room apart and no joy until I lifted up the cover, and out it fell. It was wedged into the top of the box. Go figure.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thankfully I've only had tokens go AWOL....and they were cheap commons. Most have shown back up.

lordmarcovan, Deacon Ray and dadams like this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O wow!.. i love a good story and a happier ending... i just went thru that with my Fausta coin, she was missing for over a year, then turned up in a drawer of antiques my son was rummaging thru..:) ( good ole dadams :))

lordmarcovan, Deacon Ray and dadams like this.
  14. Bert Gedin

Do some of you say "cheese" to your coins, as they are being photo'd ?

Paul M. likes this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

If I want them to smile I do...

Paul M., TIF, Orange Julius and 2 others like this.
  16. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I have never done that, but now I will.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Bert Gedin

Caesar_Augustus. I hope you get better photos than I do !!!

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
  18. Bert Gedin

Some of your ancients, FitzNigel, so I'm told, are 2 ancient to smile !!!

19. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

So, I assumed this thread was about a poo accident! I am relieved to see it is just a misplaced coin.

Alegandron and Nathan401 like this.
  20. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You want poo stories?!?! I got 5 kids and 2 dogs. I have poo stories for days...:woot::yack::vomit:

21. lordmarcovan

Unfortunately, @Aethelred has known me so long that he's privy to some of my personal poo stories. (Privy? Get it? Ha.)

TypeCoin971793 and Nathan401 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted