Stuff like this happens to me more often than I'd like to admit...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lol, what a great thread. Glad to know I'm not alone. I felt like my house is one of the few remaining where 90% silver coins are routinely found in couch cushions!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numinaut

Numinaut Active Member

I know how you feel Lord M. I've had several valuable coins disappear never to be seen again. I'm still looking for a St. Gaudens in the couch cushions. I had to laugh though when I saw the one hiding in the lid. I thought, you should be a magician! With a little practice you could make all sorts of things disappear. Work your way up to the Eiffel Tower!

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Mat - if you have a good enough memory, you'll also remember I lost a Caligula Æ one time, and when found, it had succumbed to terminal bronze disease. That was a cursed coin.

benhur767 and dadams like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Oh yes, I remember that very well. Ended up selling cheap on ebay too.

Yeah, that coin continued to make history long after Caligulas death.:hungover:

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

@Fred Weinberg accidentally threw away a $4 stella, I believe.

benhur767, dadams and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've dropped a few uncleaned coins that I never was able to find. One fell out of my hand while I was attributing it (LRB), rolled across the hardwood floor and into a crack between the wall and the floor. I tried a pair of needle-nose plyers to try and pry it out but it was nowhere to be seen. Eventually gave up since it was maybe a $10 coin of Valentinian II.

benhur767, dadams and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

SOMEBODY needs to drink a shot, I'm thinking.

9. lordmarcovan

THAT would have to involve a full-scale excavation of the entire landfill!

(If I didn't jump off a bridge, first.)

I heard about a dealer acquaintance of mine cutting a rare currency note out of a PCGS Currency slab, and accidentally lopping off a corner of the note with his scissors, which occasioned the blurting of a loud obscenity on a crowded bourse floor.

@asheland might have been witness to that one.

10. lordmarcovan

You can do it for me. I'm a teetotaler.

Just took a shot of Nyquil before bed, though, which probably counts.

benhur767, Nathan401 and dadams like this.
  11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I think many have these stories. My experiences are that coins tend to bounce a long way on carpet. Drop one here, later find it 12 feet away. Its happened dozens of times to me and honestly I have no idea how many coins I've lost. Most recently I have lost a very nice Balbinus. Cant be sure exactly where it went, but I think I shipped it to the wrong person (who has yet to come forward). If anyone see's it on Ebay....

Balbinus.jpg

Ryro, Pellinore, dlhill132 and 12 others like this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My first personal one-to-one numismatic mentor, when I transitioned from a casual collector to a very serious academically focused one, was a gentleman who once owned a complete set of $4 Stellas, and is/was a Farran Zerbe Award winner (the most prestigious ANA award), the late great John Eshbach. A true giant of the field.

Nathan401, TypeCoin971793 and dadams like this.
  13. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I'm glad @lordmarcovan found it - we've already nailed down the terms of trade once again so soon Constantine will be coming home.

On the bright side the $$ LM sent helped me secure that BRUTTIUM, Rhegion Litra out of the x6 Collection which I might not have pulled the trigger on otherwise.

Theodosius likes this.
  14. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

If you have one of these coin-swallowing banks in the house, it might be to blame for missing coins - they've been known to sleep walk when hungry :p

creepy-face-coin-bank-757.gif

Ryro, asheland, dlhill132 and 8 others like this.
  15. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I’ve not had such a bad experience with small coins. Any ones I drop go on the hardwood floor beneath my desk where they stick out like a sore thumb. This guy might be a contender for a coin on the carpet one day, but at least I’ll know when I’ve found it! C7E71B4E-75E7-4DE9-85B4-504FC33CD19F.jpeg

Ryro, asheland, dlhill132 and 3 others like this.
  16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Remind me to keep that thing away from my denarii.

Paul M., Nathan401 and juris klavins like this.
  17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Neither fear nor fret, your Lordship! It's part of the aging process. As we mature like fine cheese we sometimes become a bit less adept at things that never challenged us before. It's called the fumble factor. ;) I can only speak for myself when I share this of course.

kountryken, Alegandron and Theodosius like this.
  18. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

And like fine aged cheese some of us get sharper! Well, maybe not me...

Deacon Ray likes this.
  19. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Ooohhh, I like that gold! Looks like it might be nicely toned!

asheland likes this.
  20. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

@Alegandron That cointain is a nice way of holding that coin!

lordmarcovan and Alegandron like this.
  21. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Next time, less of the wine & sex !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted