Stuck with lenses post your "kit lens photos."

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, May 31, 2012.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Yes and no. The sensor in the 3000 is the same size, and is NOT a backlit CMOS, but the resolution was upped. That creates less sharp images. In the 3100 and 5100 series, Nikon went to a backlit CMOS sensor, with 14MPX, and that was a big improvement, as it acted like a much larger sensor.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Neither the D60 or D3000 have CMOS sensors (both have CCD) so he didn't bother to explain anything in regards to the two cameras mentioned or why one is supposedly better than the other. Simply adding info about two higher line models is the usual smoke and mirrors.

4. Morgandude11

5. BooksB4Coins

Exactly... but he did not ask about either/any newer model, did he? While the info is fine and not nonsense, it has nothing to do with question at hand.

6. Morgandude11

I formally request that you stop stalking my posts. Thank you

7. BooksB4Coins

And I formally request you stop making claims you are unwilling or unable to back up. The last I checked this is a forum for open discussion, so if you do not like people questioning you, maybe you should grow thicker skin. I am not the one avoiding discussion - you are. I remember you calling another member a baby, yet god forbid anyone disagree or attempt to engage you.. that is stalking. I suppose MorganDude needs a pass here.. this has nothing to do with stalking or anything else other than that you do not like explaining your statements or opinions. I guess its more fun for you to claim experience than to prove the substance of said claims.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That'll be enough guys.

9. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Very cool, I am happy you have a nice hardware solution in place. Did you mention if you have a tripod yet or not? I know you have the lighting. Now what about software? If there is anyway you can get ahold of a cheap copy of Lightroom 3, I would get that as well. LR4 is out, so you may find a great deal on LR3. There is a bunch of open source stuff too, and some other pay suff, and I have used several over the years, and LR really is just head-and-shoulders above most of them.

You would probably still need something to do circular cropping, matting, adding text, etc. I recently started using PhotoShop Elements. I got it for some rediculously cheap price after rebates, discounts, etc. I think I got it for like 80% off. Again, there are free alternatives, but I cant recommend since I dont use them.

10. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

I always have and will continue to shoot Canon, so I can't help you guys.
    -Brandon

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I know nothing about Nikons, using my Canons I prefer a longer focal length for coins since that increases the distance from lens to coin and allows better flexibility in lighting. Macro lenses are sharper but most of us don't make large prints of coins and if you are downsizing for even the largest web use you will never see the difference. Another thing is that macro lenses tend to have a flatter field and more even sharpness to the corners which would mean a lot to a stamp photographer but little to a shooter of round coins where there is no subject matter in the corners anyway. If you happen to have something like a 70-200 zoom, try it on extension tubes. Whatever lens you use, a secure and solid camera support is 1000 times more important.

Draft saved Draft deleted