Stuck on Reverse Image

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jul 12, 2018.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

As some of you already know, I have got the bug hard. I really liked the idea of uncleaned coins and then attributing them so I ordered some on Monday and received them yesterday. They have been sitting in some distilled water and after a light brushing with a toothbrush and a dental pick to get some crud off I have managed to pretty closely ID 1, which is a Gallienus, Radiate Head Right, Doe walking right, looking left. There is still a lot of crust on it so it will soak some more.

The one I can't find is this (I'm not even sure it is oriented correctly)
    UNK.jpg
    IMG-6692.JPG
    I looked through tesorillo and it wasn't there. I am assuming that it is older than what they have on their site (Like the Gallienus was). It seems to be a crescent over/next to a dot, inside a square. Right now, the obverse is still covered in crud and I can only barely make out a bit of a nose and lips. This coin is smaller than a dime.

Are there any good reference sites that have earlier Roman coins that is kind of set up like tesorillo?

Justin Lee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

you have it sideways...it's a Claudius II consecratio reverse with an altar.

the size and apparent crudeness means it is likely unofficial. These were frequently copied.

UNK.jpg

0006b67e-9258-4315-ba83-1fd89888fe06.jpg

artid2842_combined.jpg

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Thanks! It certainly does look like a crude copy doesn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted