Struck through rim burr? def planchet? 1943s Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TylerH, Dec 20, 2019.

1. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Hi All!
    Posted this a while back and no one knew what this was - but now I have the microscope so hopefully it'll help!

I got this blindly off of ebay to fill a spot in my 7070 and it has this defect on the obverse - at 6 oclock.

Someone suggest a struck through rim burr? Maybe a slight clipped planchet? I don't know!! Any help would be great! (Its also insanely hard to get a good pic of - The coin is "silver" color but the exposed error area is gold color)

Bur1.JPG bur2.JPG bur3.JPG Burr1.png burr2.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

To add - I think Im seeing a bit of the Blakesley effect but , not having an eye for errors, I cant tell

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A Rim Burr is was I'm thinking also.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a hit to the rim.

GeorgeM likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks like damage to me, too. I don't see Blakesley opposite it, just another rim hit, and I don't see any of the reverse weakness I'd expect if a bit of the planchet were missing before the strike.

Can you just rotate the coin 180 degrees so the light is shining onto the defect, rather than shadowing it?

7. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

I don’t know how it could be a rim hit. The coin is otherwise perfect. Comparing it to an MS65 of the same coin I have it is actually nicer re cartwheeling, etc. it’s just killing me that the photos are so bad. Haha. I’ll try to grab more

8. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Hope these show a bit more of what Im talking about-

0-1.jpg 0-2.jpg 0.jpg 0-2.jpg

9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Looks kind of like a lamination just north of that rim anomaly...

GeorgeM likes this.
  11. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Ya. I’m not sure what caused the issue at 6 o’clock but there is a chunk of lamination missing above it, or a rim but that was struck onto the coin. I just can’t tell

Draft saved Draft deleted