Struck Through, or Something Else???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Double Die, May 19, 2020.

1. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Okay, I just gotta show this thing off.

I won some mint sets (4-70's, 4-71's, & 2-74's) in an auction. I was mainly after the 70's but this lot surprised me. Of the 10 sets, 6 of them have at least one error/variety in them with a couple having multiples.

I couldn't believe this passed QC to find its way into the cello. I'm thinking it's a strike through but could it be a defective planchet 71str.jpg 71str1.jpg 71str2.jpg 71str3.jpg 71str4.jpg 71str5.jpg , a lamination issue, or something else entirely?

So, I will welcome everyone's input as to what your take is on this...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I am leaning towards struck through but I would like to see what @paddyman98 has to say.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Strike through error

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it may be a strikethrough, too!

@Double Die , why should you be surprised to find it in a Mint Set? It's not like they hand-inspect each coin, and the coins are placed "heads up" on the cello. They all come out of the same bins that hold the circulated coins.

Take a look at this 2005-S KS Silver Proof SQ. You might wonder how it slipped by inspection, but then again, the SQ's are placed in the plastic case with the reverse facing up, not the obverse. ~ Chris
    2005-S_PF_KS_SQ_OBV_LAMINATION_ERROR.jpg

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

It passed QC with lot sampling and all the other control features that any high volume manufacturer would use. If they had tighter inspections that penny might cost 10 cents or more to make.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That one particular person just spent hours assembling those sets.. They just thought.. "Meh, whatever" :yawn:

8. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

grease strike through

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Minor strike through.

Draft saved Draft deleted