Struck through capped die error 1972 penny question with "N" on stairs of reverse.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by amnight, Jul 19, 2012.

1. amnight

amnight Active Member

I found this coin today and wanted to know if it would be worth it to get it certified and graded? Here are some pics! Thank you!:)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I think it wouldn't be worth enough to offset the cost of submission, but it is still a very cool coin! :thumb:

I see a "Z" on the stairs ;) Is that raised or sunk in? I can't see it well enough to say what that is... It could just be 'white noise' or it could be a cool double error. You will need closer, clear pics to get a more definitive answer. Maybe Mr. Diamond will weigh in. I can't believe nobody responded before me! 3 days and on a true mint error too! Please put up more pics; focus on the anomoly in the steps, Hope to see them soon!

And I don't believe I've told you yet............... Welcome to the forum!

4. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Yup, it looks like it was struck through a late stage die cap. There are plenty available on the market, with most being from the 70s or 80s (as yours is, being a 1972-D), and typically sell for anywhere from $10 to $15 in circulated grades.

IMHO, the coin is not worth submitting to a third-party grader like PCGS or NGC. ANACS may be a better route, but if it were my coin, I'd probably just keep it raw in a 2x2.

Also, the mark you're seeing on the reverse that maybe resemble an 'N' or a 'Z' appears to be nothing more than post-mint damage. From the looks of it, a scrape has displaced some metal.

-Brian

5. amnight

amnight Active Member

Here is another pic with a closer view and it does look like a gouge and would be post mint damage. Image123.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted