Strikethrough mercury dime!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by i2i, Jul 31, 2019.

1. i2i

i2i Active Member

I know my haters will say, "wear" or "die deterioration", despite the luster and high relief of devices, and the reeding being in normal condition. So, ive added a pic of a similar strikethrough nickel that was graded and sold for a healthy premium, as these types will do!
    Still, they will hate out of jealousy and envy....and will insist on showing their ignorance. ...and i havent even posted my trophies! Lol
    Oh, and that indian head nickel that im using as a prop is pretty sharp!
    20190730_231923.jpg 20190730_231855.jpg 20190730_231820.jpg imageproxy.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It is not worn or struck from a deteriorated die. It's damaged. Probably a fire as indicated by the black deposits. I don't see anything resembling luster.

The nickel is a nice example of a struck through cloth error. I would expect The reverse to be normally struck.

Wouldn't mind seeing the aluminum cent you say you have.

Legomaster1 likes this.
  4. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Not everyone is a "hater" or "jealous" for giving somebody [true] info about a coin.
    I agree with Oldhoopster- the merc. dime was likely in a fire, judging by the char markings.
    You can see where details were present, but, they melted.
    In a struck through cloth coin, (like the nickel), details would usually be absent, not distorted. The pattern of cloth will also look different.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Just damage.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

The nickel looks as if it is in a TPG holder.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It sure is Meow. It's an actual attributed Mint Error. Looks like a PCGS slab. But the other coins he is showing he thinks is the same error are not. They are just damaged coins.

8. MeowtheKitty

Oh OK, that's neat. Meow was not sure why if all where considered fails, one was slabbed. Meow misunderstood. Thanks.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

But the PCGS slab is not his. It's a picture he is using from the internet to compare his damaged coins to.

10. MeowtheKitty

Ok, Thanks. Meow has been getting a lot of Feline hate recently(if you have noticed) Meow appreciates the respectful conversation. Purrrr.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The Mercury dime looks like it has been wire wheeled to remove the crud that is on it.

12. MeowtheKitty

Could it be a Metal detector find? @paddyman98 look familiar to any finds you have made?

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It looks like a salt water metal detecting find

14. paddyman98

kind of..
    Here are some old metal detected Mercs with all types of environmental damage that I have found
    20190629_190037-1.jpg 20190413_143820-1.jpg

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and if Paddy takes the second one and puts it in aluminum foil, with a drop of water on either side, then waits a minute or two it will look the same as the OP's.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The nickel is an obvious struck through cloth and it's been verified by a TPG, probably PCGS. The Mercury Dine, poor thing, has been in a fire. That's why the details are missing, caused by the heat. The black marks are also caused by the fire. I used to have i every similar to this.

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's because the dang cat can't take a joke!

Chris

Nyatii likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Has there ever been a coin that was struck through cloth on both sides?

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Fred Weinberg @JCro57 @paddyman98 ,

I was wondering the same thing. The probability of it happening must be incredibly low. A planchet would have to be wrapped in the cloth AND make it into the die chamber while being pushed by the feeding fingers. Plus, will it even fit in the chamber

Also equally improbable IMO is a two piece scenario where cloth is stuck in the die chamber, while a piece of cloth managed to get on the top side of the planchet.

I can see where there could be struck through grease on both sides or other small debris such as sites or metal filings, but cloth is difficult to envision.

However, with the billions of coins minted every year, even low probability events could happen. But the chances of finding one would make the lottery odds look like a sure thing:D

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

i2i really needs to educate himself before posting. That dime is nothing but environmental damage, period!

21. paddyman98

The problem is that when you make statements like the one you just made he would just say we are haters and jealous of his finds.. He doesn't care.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    ldhair likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted