Strike Doubling or RPM?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jason Chaney, May 24, 2017.

1. Jason Chaney

Jason Chaney New Member

Hello,

I've spent the last six weeks slowly going through my grandmothers coin collection trying to figure out what is worth keeping and what's not. Nearly all of these coins were taken out of circulation, and there's a lot of them. I've spent a LOT of the last month on the interwebz studying everything I could find about grading, double dies, RPMs, and so forth. So I'm not going to ask what anything is worth. The PCGS and NGC websites will tell me that.

Anyway, I have a couple things here that I need an opinion on, other than my own.

First, I have quite a few silver Roosevelt dimes that a month ago I thought could be RPMs. Now I'm not so sure. Here's a couple pictures of one. What do you think? Could it be strike doubling, and if so, only on the mint mark?

IMG_6743.jpg IMG_6743-2.jpg

Second, I have what I'm fairly sure is an RPM, with a cud filling the D, but I can find no information of this particular year (1954) having an RPM. PCGS and NGC don't list any RPMs for this date, and the CONECA master listings at VarietyVista.com doesn't either. The E-Book on Roosevelt Dimes at Variety Vista has 3 RPMs listed for 1954D, but none look like this one. What do you think? Did I discover a new variety? Is it even an RPM?

IMG_6742.jpg IMG_6742-2.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. I'm looking forward to seeing what experienced collectors have to say.

Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Unfortunately, neither example is an RPM imo, at least in regards to the obvious sheering. Notice how the primary is much smaller than the secondary? That said, it's possible there may be some very, very minor repunching on the second one (which is simply filled and not a "cud"), but isn't something I would concern myself with.

As for coin values, be careful taking what you may see in the PCGS or NGC guides as law, especially if trying to apply said values to raw coins. When it comes to varieties I would ignore it altogether and is because they accept/acknowledge very few.

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Looking at you images it is hard to determine as a full view both obv and rev. Would give us a better take on the coins strike.
    From the evidence shown my best guess would be machine doubling or die deterioration from the areas around the mm.
    One must remember that nickels,dimes and even quarters , are mass produced. It seems especially with nickels and dime at least at Philadelphia they ride them dies till they pop!
    You could always send it into Varietyvista.com for Wiles to give you his opinion , mine would be MD/ and a worn out die.

5. Jason Chaney

Jason Chaney New Member

Thanks for the replies. Obviously I still have a lot to learn, but I also still have a LOT of coins to sort through. Which should provide me with some level of education.

6. Bill Coburn

Bill Coburn New Member

Jason asks a very good question. How can you have strike doubling on only the mint mark?

Draft saved Draft deleted