Strap-stackers post your results.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by TheNoost, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Lawton Paseka

Lawton Paseka New Member

What purpose does that serve? I mean, is there a reason for that? Does it have to do with value or rarity? So curious about this new hobby of mine.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Then you'll first need to know what you want to collect. Paper currency can be collected in many ways. Seems his listing of series and block info suggests he's trying for a complete collection of FRN from '63-now with all the Federal Bank Districts and Block letters and stars. The only purpose of such a list is to inform others of his finds which makes sense given that this topic is mainly for posting strap search results and discussion the hobby on the side. Crisp straps of $1s are my favorite. They yield the highest quality of stars and a chance for some Fancy Serial# or an error that slipped through the BEP.

I personally collect 1$ star notes by Series and Run. I'm also building a collection of Red and Blue notes by Series. All Ch Unc or Gem Unc.

4. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Got a 2009 B* Run 6 (Ch Unc) yesterday at work. Filled another hole :)

5. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Slim pickings on crisp straps lately. Have been only able to find circulated 1$s. Searched 10 straps today, saved 3 AU stars and 1 XF star. Best haul in nearly a month.

6. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Found a low-number $1 last night - series 2009, K 00006737 G - is it worth anything over face value? Condition is circulated, but no rips or writing.

MKent likes this.
  7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

It's not worth more than face to me.......but who's to say a forum member might want it and be willing to pay more than face. The true test is to post it, with a photo, on the For Sale area of the forum, and see if anyone is ready to pony up.

8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Not a strap, but kind of....$256 in $2s at the bank...$30 worth of red seals and about $100 consecutive order starting with 00469817 and going up to about 00469900! Pretty happy with the 15 red seals mixed in!

coinman1234 likes this.
  9. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

In the past week the tellers have saved 2 $5 notes for me

1963 Red Seal $5 and a 1950c $5. The 1950c has almost completed my standard small size seal color collection, now all I need is the 1966 $100 Red Seal :)
    IMG_20151202_144313.jpg

calishield, NLL, Endeavor and 3 others like this.
  10. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

11. Lawton Paseka

Lawton Paseka New Member

"No star bills, no wilds, and no stealths."

What exactly are "wilds" and "stealths"?

dantheman2745 likes this.
  12. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Wild - a bill that has been entered into the Where's George database and has been marked.

Stealth - a bill that has been entered into the Where's George database but has not been marked.

13. Facevalue

Facevalue Active Member

20160119_103019.jpg 20160128_134232.jpg 20160128_134236.jpg 20160128_134232.jpg 20160119_103019.jpg just a couple of my circulation finds lately

NOS, Lawton Paseka and SteveInTampa like this.
  14. Lawton Paseka

Lawton Paseka New Member

Facevalue, that '76 J* is a thing of beauty. $$$

Got 33 bills today from a bank in Eastern Pennsylvania.
    1953 (2)
    1953 A (2)
    1953 C
    1963 AU
    1976 UC

strap stack feb 3 2016.jpg

15. Lawton Paseka

Lawton Paseka New Member

Upon further review, it looks like someone intentionally tore the corners off these four bills at the same time. Hmmmm???

torn legals 1.jpg torn legals 2.jpg

16. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

There's an old superstition that two dollar bills were unlucky. To ward off evil you'd tear off a corner. A note with all four corners missing you threw away.

jester3681 likes this.
  17. Dollarsavr

Dollarsavr Question everything...

After reading the 10.24.2005 post to "Coin-Roll-Hunting" I would like to propose a paper-money thread.
    Here are some of my latest Maryland finds: Series 2013 $1 E4040446C Position-E1 Face Plate Serial FWE35 Back Plate 18 in fine; B0347762*/G3/G17/1 in very fine; and a Series 2006 B06572501*/A2/A281/222 well worn (a Run with Errors).
    It is my hope to locate other notes of interest (any series/denomination)...
    BTW, for advanced collectors, a new report for the 1981 $1 FRN Back Plate 7273 Engraving Error (Sheet-note). Previously a business-note discovery found was reported in the Bank Note Reporter of February 2015 from the G-A block. Now there is a new find, an E46370382A of the involved series...

18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

19. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Same old results. Only two notes of note, a 1988a Web press and a binary radar (01111110) in G/VG condition. Unfortunately I haven't been finding new straps for a month.

Dollarsavr likes this.
  20. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

My rarest star find. Too bad on the quality...
    [​IMG]

Lowest Serial #
    [​IMG]

Closest Error
    [​IMG]

Partial ladder
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Endeavor likes this.
  21. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at how many $2 notes you see with the corners torn off. I'm amazed that so many people knew about the "bad luck" superstition AND I'm amazed how many people would believe it enough to actually tear a corner.

Most people don't even know or remember the basic features of circulating paper money yet they all remember to tear a corner on a two. People remember the craziest things.

Draft saved Draft deleted