Strap of Old $20s at the Bank Should I?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by slamster17, Jan 22, 2015.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Hey guys,

So I know this one could be a toss up. The bank ladies have a strap of $1000 in 'MOSTLY' 60s and 70s series $20 bills. A bunch of them seem lightly circulated. Story goes like someone might have dumped a stash. I didn't smell them, but supposedly they have that musty basement smell (said the bank lady).

Question is, do I give them a try? Can they be sold easily for more than face? I didn't see any star notes in the bunch, and I didn't really check districts or serial numbers when they let me glance through. Thoughts and advice appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Unless getting that much in cash out will hurt you financially, why would you not? If you find nothing cool, just return it, and you don't lose a dime. Win win.

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

@Mainebill gave me a few $20 from the 60's/ 70's the other day, as well as, this one from 1950. I spent the others, but I am having a hard time spending this one.

WP_20150122_001.jpg

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Go for it if you can afford the temporary outlay and only keep a few nice ones, if found, and return the rest asap.

6. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

YOLO. They do indeed smell like basement. Mostly series 1974. No stars or special serial numbers but some in decent shape. I pulled out about 14 that are decent. Mostly Philadelphia, boston, and Richmond. The few 1963s were rough and there were some 1969A, 1969B, and 1969C. Will get some pics soon.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hey, if anybody's giving away $20s, I'd be happy to take some. They don't even have to be old series. ;)

Mainebill, tommyc03 and slamster17 like this.
  8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

The coolest serial number of the bunch is probably the '74 ending in 5555...

Attached Files:

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Got paid by a customer in moldy mildewy cash included were a bunch of older $20 bills they weren't in great shape so to me there just spending cash

11. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Instead of returning your $20 bill I recommend trading your $20 for 1 oz of Silver. That way your $20 will be worth $20 in 20 years.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

...but $18.31 the moment you walk out of the store.

harris498 and slamster17 like this.
  13. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Can't decide if I want to sit on any of these, but can't decide if I want to just put them back in the bank either...some of them are in decent shape...Toying with eBay...but is it really worth the $2 or $3 profit I may make per note?

14. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

cut the bills in a precise way so that the bank has to accept each $20 as $40

15. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Josh. good luck trying, can't be done.....

16. Duanefran

Duanefran New Member

Did you end up getting rid of the notes?

Draft saved Draft deleted