Strangest thing...check this out?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinssince1994, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No disagreement that you see a raised spot. I see it too. However the spot is the contaminant. I have no doubt that if it was analyzed you would find it to be acidic or contain sulfur.

The "heat ring" isn't from heat. It is heavy toning due to the proximity of a small concentrated contaminant

BadThad, Insider and ColonialCoin4 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If it was just 1 coin the OP was asking about I'd be right there with idea of a sneeze or cough. But what he said was -

Given that, and all in the same box, the idea of a sneeze or cough seems less likely, and instead something could affect many coins as opposed to just 1. And when I mentioned the flooding I wasn't implying the coins being underwater, but rather condensation inside the coin holders due to all the excessive moisture and heat due to no power for a period of time.

But then that's just an idea.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

keith koins, posted: Well - I'll take that bet at a Trillion to one. One Gold Eagle Long Please."

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Don't, you'll lose. :smuggrin: ;)

And with all due respect, [Thank You :happy:] I now I have the unfair advantage of magnification in looking at this coin and another with the same type of spots and having wielded a day or two in my life and knowing what that looks like how it reacts. [Don't be too sure. I already posted that it looks just as a heat spot should look and complimented you for that description.]One of the spots actually has a raised piece of metal [That's the bit of debris that caused the discolored reaction ring] in the middle of the spot with the discolored ring from the heat of this splatter. I will see if I can get a magnified picture that shows that clearly. With that said these spots are 100% due to and from some type of heated metal splatter on the coin - period end of story.

So with that said --if this occurred during or after the striking process is it a Mint Error ??

NO:banghead:, NO:banghead:, A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Please read the following answer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oldhoopster

No disagreement that you see a raised spot. I see it too. However the spot is the contaminant. I have no doubt that if it was analyzed you would find it to be acidic or contain sulfur.
    The "heat ring" isn't from heat. It is heavy toning due to the proximity of a small concentrated contaminant. AMEN!

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

May be hard to prove, but I also feel that this is a very plausible explanation

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The remains of the contaminent.

No it is occurred after the strike it is PSD Post Strike Damage.

When they make these, before packaging they are all laid out flat in a try type arrangement. A strong sneeze could spray droplets across an entire tray of coins, and they would quite likely be packaged together.

paddyman98 and BadThad like this.
  7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

And before it's brought up, NO the sneeze didn't come from inside of a welding helmet.

paddyman98 and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Agree, the welding helmet would have to been flipped up for the sneeze droplets to escape.

9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

dude, take your coin and set it on a table next to someone welding and let some hot slag spray on it then compare, then you'll know for sure... hot slag is in the 3000 degree range, silver melts at 1763 degrees... the slag will most likely melt and stick to the coin creating tiny bumps all over the coin....

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The spots are due to a surface contaminant - the source is irrelevant. The chemical was organic-based, has degraded and caused the coin to tone. These are impaired proofs which probably now puts them purely in the bullion category.

Insider likes this.
  11. VDB

VDB Active Member

I would definitely send them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wielding? It took me 20 minutes to figure out he meant 'welding'...... rofl.gif

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted