Strangest thing...check this out?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinssince1994, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Coinssince1994

Coinssince1994 New Member

This is Rich with Coins Since 1994 again; we purchased a huge box of American Silver Eagles (2017w) from the United States Mint and many of them have these black spots on them. Typically we would think of something such as this, as corrosion but if you take a closer look, it almost looks like weld-marks or some other chemical process.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding the cause of these? Is this a 'mint error' in your opinion or something different? Any input is appreciated! IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0568.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John T.

John T. Active Member

Weird! Give it the slide test with a magnet. I know it's the mint, but you never know. Otherwise, it looks like mildew or rust. Long ago there was a problem and it wasn't with silver.

4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I would send them back. That's just not cool.
    Proof coins should be brilliant from the mint.

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks like carbon spots...
    from google: These dark brown to black spots appear on both copper (including bronze) and silver coins (including silver clad). These are formed, not with contact with carbon, but contact with sulfur from the environment. ...

6. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Looks like a sneeze job.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Why would they ship something like that?
    Don't they have any quality control?

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised what makes it out from them sometimes. That's one reason why a lot of people are happier to pay a few dollars more on the aftermarket and not have to deal with them

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Please show us an image of the whole coin.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm trying to understand what you said -

First of all, when you said "a huge box" I assumed you were talking about what most call a "green monster box". But those coins are business strikes and the coin in the pictures appears to be a Proof, and you can see the capsule it is in. Each Proof comes in its own individual packaging, typically a blue velvet box containing the coin in its holder. Now I suppose if you ordered a large quantity of the Proofs they would probably ship them in a large box, so that would explain your comment.

However, what you're showing pictures of is corrosion on that coin. And I've never even heard of, let alone seen, a Proof from the mint that was corroded. And you say you got many of them. Sure you might see a coin or two that has spots on it now and then, but not corrosion like that. Corrosion like that takes a while to form under normal circumstances.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I wonder if maybe, stress maybe, these coins were returns to the mint from people in Texas who suffered from the recent hurricane and flooding. That's the only thing I can think of that could account for something like this. And the mint is known to re-sell returns that come in from others.

In any event I'd return them all if I were you. No sense in taking a chance that those without spots might yet develop them.

Insider and Oldhoopster like this.
  11. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

If Doug's theory is correct (and it makes sense. That ASE looks like it was in a nasty environment) that could be black mold. Send them back for sure.

12. keith koins

keith koins New Member

Guys -- these marks are the exact same thing as wielding splatter, so call that whatever you will in coin speak. I have seen one of these up close and am 100% confident in that assessment. And for a proof coin to have that-- it also had to have happened at the US MINT, so in my honest opinion it is also a mint error.

I hope that helps !

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Uhhh, no. For it to be a mint error it would have to happen during the strike or during the making of the dies. Otherwise it would just be damage that happened to occur in the mint building.

And have you ever seen how Proof ASEs are made ? And packaged ? Once you have, quite simply there is no way that welding spatter could ever get onto the coins.

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I like the sneeze theory, but what Doug says is also quite likely

paddyman98 and Oldhoopster like this.
  15. keith koins

keith koins New Member

21617552_10214168928757504_8667508096408948564_n (1).jpg
    tell me this is not a wielding type marks -on the large spot at the top you can even see the heat ring difference - & its the same type 2017 Proof coin- so I am sure my marks are the same as others from this proof run. I have another with these obvious wield type splatter marks but the picture is not as clear as the large splatter mark and ring on this coin.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When you have a speck of decaying organic matter (such as from a sneeze) on a coin, the acids and other decay products spread out radially from the center of the speck and create the "bulls-eye" pattern seen in at the top in the last image. I'd say someone sneezed.

paddyman98 and BadThad like this.
  17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Silver is a very reactive metal. A sneeze; mildly acidic liquid droplets; Hydrogen sulfide occurs in a lot of natural processes; grease spatter in a kitchen, or from a manufacturing process; aerosol cleaning solvents or lubricants around mint equipment. The list can go on and on. The spots aren't heat related, they are toning (corrosion) of the silver

paddyman98 and BadThad like this.
  18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

keith koins, posted: "Tell me this is not a wielding type marks -on the large spot at the top you can even see the heat ring difference - & its the same type 2017 Proof coin- so I am sure my marks are the same as others from this proof run. I have another with these obvious wield type splatter marks but the picture is not as clear as the large splatter mark and ring on this coin.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: You can call it anything you wish. "Welding Spot" is a great term as I can close my eyes and "see it" - a discolored bluish spot with a reaction ring.

HOWEVER, IT IS NOT A WELDING SPOT! Additionally, there is a trillion to one chance this happened at the mint. :D

19. keith koins

keith koins New Member

Well - I'll take that bet at a Trillion to one. One Gold Eagle Long Please.

And with all due respect, I know I have the unfair advantage of magnification in looking at this coin and another with the same type of spots and having wielded a day or two in my life and knowing what that looks like how it reacts. One of the spots actually has a raised piece of metal in the middle of the spot with the discolored ring from the heat of this splatter. I will see if I can get a magnified picture that shows that clearly. With that said these spots are 100% due to and from some type of heated metal splatter on the coin - period end of story.

So with that said --if this occurred during or after the striking process is it a Mint Error ??

Regards --Keith

20. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

no

Insider likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's just damage. Not an error. The mint would never be welding around coins. If you look at a lot of proof Silver Eagles, you will find this same look.

Draft saved Draft deleted