Strangely struck Seated half

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seated J, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Seated J

Seated J Well-Known Member

This half is in a Heritage auction coming up in March. There seems to be something seriously strange about the strike, large amounts of the design missing both obverse and reverse. The obverse also has extensive pebbly texture like the die had extreme rust pitting. What do you think accounts for all of this?[​IMG][​IMG]

yakpoo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

No images..... Can you try repost

4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The images appear if you "reply".

5. Seated J

[​IMG][​IMG]Hopefully the images show this time. They showed up in the preview last time, not sure why the post was missing them.

6. Seated J

Thanks Yak, I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I copied and pasted from their website, it has worked before.

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I think the link problem is being worked. In the meantime, we need to download the images then use the "upload a file" and "full image" to get them to display properly. Sometimes the "upload a file" option is under "more options". Once you do it once, it's a piece of cake.

Cake.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I use the "upload a File " button all the time . I thought that it was the only way, I thought it was .
    th.jpg

yakpoo and spirityoda like this.
  9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It's an interesting strike. I think you're correct about the rust pitting. I suspect the consensus opinion will be "Struck Through Grease". The stars are well struck and I like all the Reverse die cracks. I see some machine doubling on the stars and letters which suggests that the soft strike areas are not the result of a lack of pressure.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    medoraman likes this.
  10. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Up until about two weeks ago, you could just click on the picture icon and paste a link directly to the source...without having to move files around.

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

?

12. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Another thing, some websites (at least in my experience) don't allow you to download an image, so if that is a problem you can also take a screenshot and upload that.

yakpoo likes this.
  13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

You're definitely Old School, Sal. :D ...which, in this case, is good!

Old school.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  14. Seated J

Here are the images (hopefully). I downloaded from HA, thanks again Yak. HA 1843-O-obv.jpg HA 1843-O-rev.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted