Strange silver dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by heavycam.monstervam, Nov 19, 2018.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

At first glance this looks like PMD.
    The problem is- i cant explain the perfectly parallel grooves left behind by whatever caused this. Also, i took my fingernail and tried pushing on the raised chunk of metal and it did not budge. I would expect it to have fallen off of there during circulation. 20181119_112258.jpg 20181119_112337.jpg 20181119_112011.jpg 20181119_112806.jpg In this photo you can see these perfect parallel grooves i mentioned...I would expect the out of place metal to be weak and easily moved. Its not. Looks like a hangnail
    I dont see any seperation between the A&T in states and the raised metal (no seam) it resembles a cud in that regard. Any ideas?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The parallel lines are cut marks. Something like a metal shearing tool could leave a mark like this.

Obviously, the industrial tables (below) are too big but if you've ever spent any time in a machine shop, you've probably seen them. Your coin probably got caught up in a smaller shearing device that didn't quite cut the whole way through causing the cut part to bend into the field

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Clawcoins likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I say Damaged. I can't think of any known Mint Error that could be. Nor how that could occur during the Minting process.

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

remember, PMD is Unlimited. Beyond the scope of most people to be able to sit, evaluate and identify a potential cause (especially it seems coin collectors). And even then it would be just a guess.

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted