Strange Penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sament09, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Sament09

Sament09 New Member

4E389E20-0CCB-45F6-8816-784A9A27D35B.png I’ve had this penny forever and have yet to figure out what has happened to it? Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
    It looks totally normal on the heads side, but the tails side is a weird inverted/backwards imprint, then looks like it was covered with foil like material to make another heads side over it! Very confused.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's my guess that two coins were glued together. Soak it in acetone and see if the partial image of the reverse dissolves.

Chris

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It was somehow damaged.

Welcome to CT.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I agree with Chris. Looks like glue.

6. CopperGenie

CopperGenie Om Nom Nom

That's my guess too. Does the penny look thicker than usual?

It almost looks like, after they were adhered together, that the second penny had its zinc melted out (judging by the way the inside of the reverse is visible). It makes sense, since the melting point of zinc is less than half that of copper.

That penny has seen some stuff, that's all I have to say.

7. CopperGenie

CopperGenie Om Nom Nom

Here's one I had laying around. Someone heated it up and the zinc started beading out the "seam."
    20190314_213433.jpg

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No glue.. No advesive issue going on..

It's simple. That's just the shell of a Copper Plated Zinc Cent.. The Zinc was dissolved. So you are looking at the Obverse which is torn and it's revealing the Reverse.

@cpm9ball look at it carefully

9. CopperGenie

CopperGenie Om Nom Nom

That's what it looks like from this angle, but the OP said the head side looks normal. I would then assume the picture is what the tail side looks like: The shell of another penny adhered to the reverse of the full penny.

10. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

'sandwhich coin' - PMD

11. Sament09

Sament09 New Member

Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts, I never thought about it being two coins glued together. I will have to check it later and see if it seems thicker. I will try and get a picture of it and see if that helps. This is the other side of the coin, looks like a regular heads to me, but it could be tampered with?
    upload_2019-4-2_10-19-21.png

Draft saved Draft deleted