Strange medieval/ancient coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ritchie_, May 25, 2019.

1. Ritchie_

Ritchie_ New Member

I would like to preface this by saying that I am new on this site, and this is my first post! I have read threads on this site before, and I meant to join a while ago. Good thing I finally got to it.

Anyway, I have been collecting ancient and medieval coins for years now, and I have never seen anything quite like this. There doesn't appear to be any inscription, and it only features random lines and dots. The closest things I've seen are irregular Anglo-Saxon sceattas and stycas, and possibly some sort of imitation of Judean coins of Alexander Jannaeus. Although neither of these seem quite right.

The coin itself is about 13x11 mm in diameter and about 1 mm thick maximum. Any identification help is greatly appreciated, and I'm excited to become a user of this website!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Can you tell the weight of the object, and where you found it? It might be a pilgrim's medal of some sort. I first thought it was a medieval islamic coin, but I doubt this very much.

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Welcome to Coin Talk! What an interesting numismatic puzzle, I hope someone here knows something about it.

It might be worth expanding the search to include Indian coins. It's vaguely reminiscent of this copper unit of Achyuta (4th CE) for example:
    Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 4.41.24 PM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted