Strange marks on my 1964 Kennedy half dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by John Kdy, Oct 17, 2011.

1. John Kdy

John Kdy New Member

I recently received several Kennedy half dollars from my Mother. One of the coins has three distinct marks on his neck. They appear to be three 'V's lined up one under the other. I have searched the web and find nothing that even comes close to this coin. ??????????? Is this for real?

I have included a picture of the coin so you can see for yourself. kenndey half w 3 v marks 005.jpg kenndey half w 3 v marks  2nd shot 003.jpg

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

from what i see looks like pmd but i think it could also be a struck through not sure... wait for experts :)

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Those marks are from being hit by the reeded edge of another coin, probably while in the bag.

5. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

And they say there was one shooter. :cool:

6. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Like what Conder has said, which is accurate, when these coins were carried in bags called "canvas bags" that split the coins into bags according to their denomination, many times the loose coins would "bounce" around inside the bags smacking into one another. This caused the reeding marks and something else called "bag marks" on nearly all Silver composed coins. I seem to frequently find these reeding marks on Peace Dollars... Or more often compared to other denominations. :)

-Brian

PS- :welcome: TO COINTALK!!!

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

They also used to "fly" into bins after being struck, with the force needed to produce marks that deep and sharp.

8. iGradeMS70

True as well. I always contributed the bag marks to being from contact within the bag, but I suppose the reed marks would make more sense happening from when they fall (or are thrown) into the bins since they look to have been hit at a fairly high speed, or at least judging by the deep impressions. Thank you for clearifying. :D

-Brian

9. John Kdy

John Kdy New Member

I was quite puzzled by three, almost exact, marks in such a distinct order. Thank you for your quick responses.

10. iGradeMS70

Here's the obverse of my NGC 63 '21 Peace. You can see a reed mark at 10 o' clock that is nearly identical to yours. :)

-Brian

Revised21Peace2.jpg

11. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

These marks usually are found in three distinct hits.

12. John Kdy

John Kdy New Member

I really appreciate everyone who replied to my question. Darn! I thought I had found something unique. Oh, well, I guess that's the way you learn you way around the coin world.

Thanks again!

13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I have the same problem with this one, but it is raised:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted