Strange looking 1865 3-cent piece

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 29, 2020.

1. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Yes, solder does dissolve copper, but the dissolution occurs INTO the solder and it is necessary to form a proper joint.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Not solder, in my opinion. It is almost impossible to remove all traces of solder that has been melted onto another metal, I've tried. Teaching jewelry classes, if a student made a mistake, trying to remove all of the solder was pretty much impossible. While there are solders that will melt with a match stick, I'd say this coin laid in contact with an acid of some type for long enough to etch the metal surface. Just my observations from experience.

Mainebill likes this.
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

PMD + Harsh Cleaning = Pass

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It’s not a question of “pass”. I already got it as part of a big consignment. It is merely a question of how sharply to discount it when I resell it. I will of course take the damage into account when I do.

6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

If the coin was pristine (meaning, no PMD), I would grade it VG08. Add in the damage and I would be very pleased if someone offered $10.

7. lordmarcovan

Kind of how I was thinking. Single-digit (<$10) pricetag, probably.

A cheapo with definite issues, but still kind of fun and interesting.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think some kind of acid of environmental damage then harshly cleaned to remove

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Solder used for electronics or plumbing yes, solder used for jewelry has a much higher melting point, in the 1,100 to 1,400 degree F range

10. lordmarcovan

That I did not know.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Still way below the melting points of the metals being joined, though. Otherwise, it would be welding, not soldering. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted