Strange Justinian's solidus - a possible transition between two type of solidi?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gabor Papp, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Gabor Papp

Gabor Papp Active Member

Hello,
    I bought a Justinian gold solidus a few years ago from a professional numismatic shop, whose style is far from the typical.
    Is seems to be a transition between the early and late type of coins of the emperor.
    On the observe, the position of the head and the style of the letters look like the early coins, nevertheless, there is a globus cruciger in the right hand instead of a spear.
    On the reverse, the angel holds the early-type long cross instead of the late-type long staff terminating in Christogram.

I suppose, the total switch to the new and more style might not happened in a day, and the artists of the mints needed time to change their style.
    I attached three coins (mine is in the middle) which were stuck at the same mint in Constantinople (B - 2nd officina).
    20230123_002103.jpeg
    Could this be a hybrid coin made in the days of changing, or it may be just a joke of a modern counterfeiter?
    What is your opinion?

(Mine solidus in a better quality)
    ! I. Justinianus solidus.jpg

Edessa, robinjojo, Kentucky and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gabor Papp

Gabor Papp Active Member

Or is this just a modern fake?

4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have top and bottom coin. There are thousands of Justinian Solidi in auctions/ many different mints. Number two/ seem exact types in auctions too. 10f0eb1e42c5af24e89ffc594a8fea08 (1).jpg 11a1120c1216eb328b735e776dddac2f.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted