Strange Anamoly on this 1994 P Lincoln Cent. Any help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by samthul, Nov 30, 2018.

1. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Hey guys! I originally posted this on the Whats It Worth Forum, but maybe someone in this thread can better help me determine whats going on with this 94 P I found in a roll. The top two pics are of the coin and the third pic is a comparitive picture of a 94 P i pulled off the internet against my coin. The lips are straight up wierd. Ive never seen this before. Its probably something obvious but thanks in advance! 20181129_183031.jpg 20181129_183105.jpg Screenshot_20181129-235009_Chrome.jpg

TyCobb likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You have the coin in hand. Does it look like damage? Or does there happen to be a well placed gas pocket?

4. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

It doesnt look like damage or a gas pocket to me but im not really skilled enough to know for sure lol. Heres two more pics maybe they can h 20181130_002727.jpg 20181130_002544.jpg elp a bit more?

5. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

It honestly just looks like Abe giving the tongue lol

6. Pickin and Grinin

Good photos. It is hard to tell with out the coin in hand.

7. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Yeah.. its stumping me at the moment. I dont know what to think. At first i was thinking damage too, but it looks like it was made that way when you start to handle it and look through the loop at it. By the way, took the photos with a Galaxy S9+ straight up and then cropped :) love this phone!

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's a plating bubble on the lips.. Herpes

9. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Lies! All Lies! :)

10. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Also, how is the indent to the left of the bubble explained then? It almost looks like a second set of lips! What is it? Herpes Magick?!

11. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Looks like a contact mark to me.

The 'hit' split the lip - imo

12. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Ya'all just wanna get yer hands on my one of a kind Lincoln Herpes Cent. Well I ain't havin it! lol. Anyways, my scale just came in and I got another box from the bank, so this weekend is gonna kick butt!

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

so based on your comments I would think that

(1) the hardened steel die was made with a special shape shifting metal which deviates from time to time to give you those funky lips,

or maybe

(2) something else happened like a plating bubble such as http://www.error-ref.com/blisteredplating/

14. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Ok, so, in theory, if that is indeed a plating bubble, it should flex when pressure is asserted, no? If it doesn't what does that leave? Die Gouge?

15. Pickin and Grinin

It may not flex, with out damaging it further.
    I would put it away and come back to it when you have learned more.
    Good luck with that new box!

16. samthul

samthul Procrastinator

Thanks! And thanks for all the input! I'll just cardboard it and label it "94 Herpes Lincoln" and move on lol

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Fred's explanation makes sense.

Just doesn't look like a plating blister to me

Draft saved Draft deleted