strange 1972 D Kennedy Half Dollar with half of the "G" from designer's initials...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by UrbanHunter, Jun 23, 2015.

1. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

here's a strange Half Dollar coin...

if you look on the back of the coin, the designer's initials aren't there...
    upon a closer magnified look, you can see that the "F" never made it onto the coin and only the lower half of the "G" is on there...

anyone ever seen something similar?

is this a special worth-something coin?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, I've seen this many times. This one is not valuable. The valuable one is where both initials are completely polished out.

Chris

Paul M. likes this.
  4. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

UGH OK. i read somewhere that a 1973 without the "F" was worth 30.00 so i kinda was wondering why this wouldn't be in the same category.

5. cpm9ball

I don't know where you heard that. Although the 1972 "No FG" is more valuable, there is also a 1982 "No FG" that is recognized. Any coin with only one letter (completely) visible is more likely to be the result of a grease-filled die.

Chris

Paul M. likes this.
  6. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

http://beforeitsnews.com/personal-f...ange-may-be-worth-a-small-fortune-257381.html

"
    The 1972-D is the scarcest of the half dollars with this error, but there are also examples of a missing or partial "FG" in these years:

1966-D No FG
    1973-D No F the G is weak
    1977-D No F the G is weak
    1982-P No FG
    1983-P No FG
    1989-P No FG"

7. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Member

8. cpm9ball

Yes, you're right about the 1966 SMS. I forgot about it, but only the '72 & '82 (and '66) are recognized in the CPG. Perhaps that is because the others might be the result of grease-filled dies rather than over-polished dies. I don't know.

Chris

9. LoneWolfSeth

LoneWolfSeth New Member

My 1972 and 1973 Kennedy half dollar coins looks like there is a chunk taken out of his cheek

10. cpm9ball

Photos?

Chris

11. Nicko

Nicko New Member

There is a 1971 D half dollar missing the FG and some missing F and G is weak

Draft saved Draft deleted