Strange 1941 Wheat Penny, what's going on?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JAY-AR, May 24, 2015.

1. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Happy Memorial Weekend Everyone! Hey, could someone tell me what's going on with the wheat penny....found this in a roll of wheat pennies I had stuffed in a drawer an forgot about for years....hee, hee, silly me.....:woot: Was this just rode hard and put away wet or minting issues? 1941 WP Die Issue.jpg 1941 WP Die Issue RV.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Yes and some kind of counterstamp also :)

4. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Mint Error and counter stamp, or rode hard and counter stamp?

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It may have been used in an old fuse box. Folks would put a cent in and screw the blown fuse on top of it to have power till they could get a new fuse. Not very safe but it worked.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I can almost bet that you are right.

7. coloradobryan

pretty chewed up, but cool nonetheless.

8. coloradobryan

pretty chewed up, but cool nonetheless.

9. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, guess I never thought about it being used as a fuse, that explains the counter stamp thingy, have a look at the reverse below the wreaths at the bottom, some sort of pattern going on there....any thoughts on that?

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

After the homeowner placed the penny in the fuse box, he didn't notice that a pygmy rattler had crawled into the space before he put the fuse back in.

Chris;);)

11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

12. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I remember the penny in the fuse box trick. It was always just a temporary fix until you could get to the store for another fuse. Very dangerous, I wonder how many houses burned like that?

My father was brought up in a coastal town in Texas. He told me that back then (1930s) people would bore a hole in the stern of boats, insert a coin, and putty it up and paint it to disguise the spot. If there was ever any dispute about the owner ship of the boat, You could say what the date of the coin was and dig it out to prove it.

silentnviolent and paddyman98 like this.
  13. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Sounds like a great way to steal a boat. Sell it then later claim it.

The OP coin seems to have had a thermal event.

Draft saved Draft deleted